Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving everything to a new frame, which didn't come with a bearing trace (I think that is what it is called).
I was able to remove my Bearing Trace from the old frame, but I cannot figure out how to put it into the new frame with out pounding it in.
Any suggestions? I am thinking about heating the frame with a propane torch hoping it will expand just enough to allow me to drop the trace into place.
Who has done this before? Honda cb200 Bearing Trace.JPG

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Put the bearing "race" in the freezer. Gently heat the tube with a heat gun or hair dryer. Get a rag/oven mitt, flat board, rubber mallet and the original race. Once everything is cold and hot appropriately, quickly take the race (use oven mitts or a rag so that you don't transfer heat from your hands to it) and place it in the tube. Take the board and mallet and start to drive it in place. Once its in you will hear a change in the tone of the metal on metal. If there is a lip (like on a CT70) use the original race and the board to drive it fully into the desired hole.

Reactions: danno

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Curtis, I will give that a try tonight and let you know how it works. Makes sense. It is close to going in but i didn't want the pound the **** out of it.
Wolf

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Sure thing Wolf. Just make sure you get it started straight and then it should go in straight.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got it in but it was not easy. I had to do some pounding.
Once I get the triple tree in place I will see if I screwed it up or not.
The backup is to get the AllBalls bearing kit for $50.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I always go with an AllBallz setup on any bike I am rebuilding. Its just easier for me to work with and they go in pretty easy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts