Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran into some trouble today when trying to get the forks off my 1973 cl350. I have a clymers manual that usually explains things clearly, but all I managed to gather is that they are the rod type forks. The bikes a K5 if that makes a difference ( I searched for cb350 fork removal and only found info for removing the piston kind which I think earlier models had, no?) There is a spring over a long skinny rod inside once you take the nut at the top off. The nut is attatched to the rod and all the manual says is to "remove" it and slide the forks out. Can somebody clarify this for me?

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Gill of the Lowlands said:
I ran into some trouble today when trying to get the forks off my 1973 cl350. I have a clymers manual that usually explains things clearly, but all I managed to gather is that they are the rod type forks. The bikes a K5 if that makes a difference ( I searched for cb350 fork removal and only found info for removing the piston kind which I think earlier models had, no?) There is a spring over a long skinny rod inside once you take the nut at the top off. The nut is attatched to the rod and all the manual says is to "remove" it and slide the forks out. Can somebody clarify this for me?
If it is the same issue I had with my 360, you need to remove the allen screw at the bottom. In order to do that you will need to get a piece of broom stick and put it in through the top (with the spring removed) and push down on the rod. Just enough resistance to turn the hex screw. I did it my myself so I extended the forks and cut the stick so that I could screw the top nut back into place. That held the rod from turning while turning the hex.
You may want to put a little penetrating oil on the screw and let it set for a bit. Also, use loctite when reassembling. Do your best to measure how much oil is in each fork.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The top cap "nut" has to be removed from the rod... there is a jam nut locking it on... Then unscrew....( You DO NOT have to remove the "allen" bolt in the bottom. at this point....) ,,,Once the cap nut is off, the tune simply pulls out... rod and springs stay with bottom...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Is the jam nut right below the threads on the end cap and just before the spring? Or is it recessed into the inside of the end cap? There are two small flat spots on either side of the bottom of the end cap, but they are really hard to get to because the spring is a larger diameter than the nut and it makes using a wrench almost impossible. Does the spring need to be compressed to fit a wrench on there?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Yes, you need to force the wrench in above the spring.....and on those "flats".... the Hex on top is the other wrench position if I remember correctly......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts