Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I read the thread on making my own cafe seat. What I don't get is how they are secured to the bike frace. Can anyone show me their methods?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I am assuming you are talking about the one that does not incorporate the stock seat pan. I read that people put together a flat steel plate bracket to secure the seat from underneath the frame rails that the seat sits on top of.

·
Registered
703 Posts
This is what I did.

Then 4 bolts through my seat with flat tops. Kinda like carriage bolts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Kruk, does your homespun seat use the stock seatpan?

I am about to start sorting out seating options, and like the idea of building my own, but if I do I would really prefer to use the existing pan.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Kruk I hope you don't mind me answering him for you. Since I'm around..

He used a stock seat pan and cut the back half of a fuel tank down to fit his needs. I believe he then bolted or riveted it to the stock pan.

Keep in mind that you can still use your stock pan and also use foam and fiberglass to get the desired shape you're looking for as well..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
On my KZ I have the fiberglass seat/tail bolted to the frame using the four stock bolts that are there for the battery box. I then affixed the seat pad (which has a fiberglass base) to the seat using industrial velcro. This stuff is strong! Very hard to take it off actually. If I'd known I wouldn't have used so much.

For my CB I'm not at this stage yet, but I'm planning on welding on a few tabs to allow me to bolt it to the frame.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
Kruk I hope you don't mind me answering him for you. Since I'm around..
He used a stock seat pan and cut the back half of a fuel tank down to fit his needs. I believe he then bolted or riveted it to the stock pan.
Keep in mind that you can still use your stock pan and also use foam and fiberglass to get the desired shape you're looking for as well..
GB :mrgreen:
GB got it right on the nose.
Pros: You can use the stock hinges and seat locking mechanism and it's cheap
Cons: Its actually kinda fugly compared to some of the nice fiberglass ones out there (the CB360 seat pan is downright weird looking)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=390

1 - 8 of 8 Posts