Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manual says to pull out the front brake cam but it has a lip that won't clear the shoe end. I don't want to damage anything. Am I supposed to remove those seriously tight springs? I have a set of new Vesrah shoes to install.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Bike brake shoes are always challenging with the design of the cam. Either you have to use a tool of some sort to get the hook of the spring out of one of the shoes, or simply force the shoes open just enough to get them over the lip of the cam shaft and slide them off the posts, or remove the cam shaft with shoes still on it which can be challenging if the shaft hasn't been out in a long time as brake dust and the light grease used on the shaft (plus potentially a little corrosion) can turn into a resistive combination. Sure hope you have better luck with your Vesrah shoes than I did - mine sucked from the start, they were ground poorly and weren't even square to the drum right out of the package. When the pedal was pushed, it made the backing plate deflect sideways and they had no stopping power at all, it was as if you weren't even pushing the pedal. replaced them with a set of EBC shoes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom. I just wanted confirmation that the task was difficult and I wasn't being Stuupid. I did the rear on my CB400F which looks very similar.I just don't remember how I did it :) I hope the Vesrah shoes are ok. They look fine. Will see...

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I had a terrible time springing and unspringing brake shoes too until an 'old timer' told me to just hang the springs on one shoe, then hang the other shoe from the springs. Grab both shoes, one in each hand, set one shoe in place on the backing plate and then stretch the springs just a little to get the pivot end on, then with that in place you can spread the shoes over the can and into place.

I agree with removing the can for a good cleaning of shaft and bore, but use waterproof grease that is rated for high temperature applications.

Decades back it was common for a brake shop to grind the correct radius onto new brake shoes, these days it's a lost art.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts