Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't figure out how to get the exhaust cam out of my 450. Is there something I'm missing. The manual just says to take it out. Thanks Clymer! Since it has the eccentric shaft for the points, I can't figure out how to position it so it comes out.

Thanks.

Mike

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Ok, I'm confused....Assuming the journals are both off, and the tach drive/oiler insert is removed, and all the tappets are out of the way, you just rotate the cam until it is free , push it towards the points side, and pull the tach side forward.......Once that end clears the head, slide it towards the tach side to get the advancer/points "spout" free

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finally got it out. I had to rotate it about it's axis until I found a good angle. Then it just took a little more cajoling. Forcing things is what got me into this mess so I didn't want to force the cam out. It's a tight fit.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Yep....It is a matter of rotation and angle..... Glad you got it....

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I hope you were careful - rotating the cams while the cam chain is not attached can bend valves in a heartbeat unless you already had the torsion bars out..........

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Bill...????????..... What can the valves hit with the head off the engine?
(I believe my manuals specify head removal before disassembly/cam removal......At least, I've always done it that way....????? :shock: ) ...Please don't tell me I've been wasting time and head gaskets for 40 years.....Steve

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I already bent a valve (don't ask) so that's why I'm doing this. I already had the head off and the rocker arms out. It just didn't seem like it wanted to come out until I found the magic spot.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
66Sprint said:
Bill...????????..... What can the valves hit with the head off the engine?
(I believe my manuals specify head removal before disassembly/cam removal......At least, I've always done it that way....????? :shock: ) ...Please don't tell me I've been wasting time and head gaskets for 40 years.....Steve
He didn't say the head was removed, and frankly I haven't looked at the manual in a very long time.
It is possible to rotate the cams to a neutral point and take them out before removing the head.
It's all good, as long as you know where your pistons are.
"Mothers, do you know where your pistons are ??...."

sorry........

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Bill, ....You are braver than I am.... I'm Skeert of bending em, even with the rockers off....LOL....I've never tried it with the head installed, and while I can see it could be done (exactly the correct position) I just get squeemish at that point..... LOL....I broke/bent/ruined enough parts during my "learning curve" years.....Steve

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
:D We ALL go through that period at least once....LOL....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Believe it or not, it IS possible to remove and replace the cam shafts with not ony the head on, but with the engine in the frame. It took a LOT of finagling around, removing the carbs, the gas tank, the cam chain tensioner, rotating the engine to the proper position, removing the cam bearings, the rocker arms and torsion bars and sliding the cam chain over and around the sprockets, but I managed to change both cams, the rocker arms and cam bearings, all without pulling the engine. It took two very long nights in the garage and a lot of head scratching, but it is possible.

Tom G

1 - 12 of 12 Posts