Registered
3,257 Posts
Big tanks are great for long rides.

What's your riding style?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The plan is a sprocket swap to bring down highway rpm. And vibration. And weekend highway trips out of town to see more of the country with friends. Thought about adding the 2nd seat back along with sissy bar for bug out bag lol

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
You're planning to make this into a hardtail?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I had an 18 tooth front sprocket on my CM400C with stock rear and stock chain length, it took a little more finesse to get rolling, and it slipped a little in 5th, but everywhere in between it was so much nicer than stock on back roads.

Not that hardtails can't be ridden... But for the kind of riding you describe I'd recommend rear shocks, even short ones. As long as the shocks bottom out before the tire hits the frame.

·
Banned
854 Posts
It looks to big to my eye but it's your bike. Go for it.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It does look a bit large for the bike, but paired with the proper seat it might help it blend in... but I agree on at least a pair of shorter shocks - I did that with my 450 and between that and raising the tubes in the clamps an equal amount, lowered the overall stance of the bike 1.5" while still having suspension

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I asked about whether you wanted to make this a hardtail or not because.... A. You mentioned on the other thread and you are a beginner rider B. Plans on making weekend trips out to the country.

As a beginner rider, I would not recommend jumping on a hardtail. They are very uncomfortable, difficult to handle and can plainly be be dangerous to ride.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Reminds me of bikes I used to see running the Baja 1000 back in the day.

·
Registered
755 Posts
"How big is too big?"

That.

That is too big.

This is MY opinion. Yours may vary. Since I do not have to look at it or ride it, by all means do what turns YOU on! ;)

I sure have to second the suggestion regarding hardtailing a bike intended for "longer" rides in the "country" though.
I LIVE in the country. I've bottomed generously spring bikes on potholes, RR tracks and probably a few other obstacles over the years, and that says absolutely nothing about the normal bumps, holes, drop offs, etc. that are encountered on EVERY ride. Take my word for it, it might look cool in all the youtubes, but more than an hour on regular "country roads" on a hardtail (even with a well sprung seat) will have you calling your chiropractor. :cool:

Reactions: Alan F.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts