Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this bike as a project and it looks like it might just be a parts bike. Leans to the right on the center stand but leans to the left when up on the lift. When I eyeball the frame nothing looks bent. Not sure what I got going on here. Anything I can check before I strip the entire bike down? 2018-01-14 13.17.46.jpg 2018-01-14 13.19.40.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It looks like a CL175 from the rear and after checking another thread, apparently is. I'm not familiar with the frame on it, but if the lower frame tubes aren't level (like the CB/CL350 frame) then it might not have anything wrong with it. When I compare both pictures, the rear wheel/fender relationship looks okay, and I've seen plenty of older smaller Hondas with bent centerstands for a variety of reasons

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I'm going to guess there is something wrong with the structure around the swing arm and center stand. I would put zero stock in how it is sitting on the jack. The most likely culprit would be the center stand or pivot shaft. I suggest remove the rear tire, fender and airfilters to see what is going on. Almost all of these bikes have had neglected maintenance in these areas. Once you do that get some photos and report back.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The only way I know of checking the frame is after it's stripped down a shaft is inserted into the swingarm bolt hole and supported on both sides so that it is level. The a pipe is inserted into the steering head which then can be checked for being perpendicular to the swingarm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input, everyone. I really hope ancientdad is right. Would the shop manual tell me what the frame geometry should be? I'll start troubleshooting with your advice. More to come.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I suppose my advice would be
1- while on the lift, check the swing arm for play. If solid then>>>
2- use the rear axle to hang the bike from. With the rear axle level to the ground then>>>
3- check drop distance at the swing arm bolt
4- inspect lower engine cradle (note, the 350s do have lower rt rail since that's the side the engine come out of)
5- drop a weight from a string down the steerer head tube and see where it lands on the front of the bike(this step you'll need to remove the front wheel and make a support for the front

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Bought a Cb 77 flat tracker that had went down on its right side. Found the swing arm bent and was able to correct it. Spent 3 years on a complete rebuild and when I thought I had it done the front end was out about 1/16 of an inch. Found the tripple tree was bent. Dag gone it. Any way I would suggest a complete tear down and check everything.

Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I looked at the parts fische on CMSNL. The foot peg bar is stepped up on the right side of the bike, opposite the way it was leaning on the lift, which would indicate, to me, that the right side frame rail is supposed to be lower than the left. and would explain it leaning to that side.

When I set the rear axle nuts on jackstands (making the rear axle level with the ground, the measurement from the center stand pivots and the swing arm pivots both measure very close to equal from the pivots to the ground (I was using a tape measure and eyeballing center on the pivots..

I plan on pulling some more pieces off the bike to get the measurements suggested above when I get back from my next work trip.

Thanks for the assist, all! Foot peg bar.JPG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts