Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1983 CB450SC

From what I can tell the electrical system all works as it should except the horn. I can't get it to make any sound by pushing in the button. I disassembled the left controls to get at the horn switch. Looks in good shape - not much corrosion. I am now able to get the horn to sound, but am only able to do this by touching the in-coming side of the switch to the frame of the bike (figured this out by accident by just letting the controls hang while doing something else and the connection was made while the controls were swinging). The horn still does not sound if I take the button side of the switch and connect it to the in-coming side.

So, any suggestions as to what is going on? Is this a sign of something? A bad ground?

Wondering how to proceed and any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great to see another 400 series here. Got any pics of it?
The horn works by the grounding of the horn button to the bars, to the risers, to the triple tree. Try a short wire from the nut of the riser to the triple tree via the instrument mount.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Yep, sounds like a ground problem to me. Grounds can cause a lot of problems on old motorcycles. I am not familiar with your model, but you should know the ground paths and tune them up. They are half of the electrical circuit.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Yes You can check this by bridging from the bars to the -ve side of the circuit or battery with a wire then trying the horn. This would work unless you have a solenid controlling the horn, which would be unusual for a normal 12v electric horn, but not for air horns.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts