Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm going crazy here. Thanks to another member, JT, I replaced my pitted chrome horn cover with one he provided. All I did was unplug the two wires, removed the horn and replaced the cover. Remounted the horn plugged in the two electrical leads, LT grey to Lt grey and black to black. I then turned the key and the fuse popped. I unplugged both leads and tried another fuse and it worked.
So I knew it was the two horn wires causing the short, but why?? I don't know. I tried pluggin in the wires several times and have gone through several fuses. I now have a pretty horn that doesn't work.
Any suggestions.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Something you did shorted one of the wires to ground (since internally it is a continuous coil, both are essentially shorted), OR, you plugged in the WRONG wires!...... Is it a Honda horn (snap-on cover) or an aftermarket horn (bolt on cover)?... The reason I ask is because the Honda wires are black and light GREEN.... Gray goes to the flasher module......

SOME aftermarket horns are continuously grounded, and sound when voltage is applied, but that doesn't sound like your symptoms....

Steve

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Not sure how you did it, (pulling too hard could have moved the insulating jacket, "stripping" the wire)... but you can check with an Ohmmeter.... wires should be contiguous to each other but not to housing or metal bracket.... If that reads correctly, one of the "feed" wires was abraded when you pulled on it and is shorting to the frame

1 - 6 of 6 Posts