Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a 1980 Honda cm200t and are having a bit of trouble get it started. We cleaned the carb, checked the air filter, put in fresh gas and oil, changed the battery and spark plugs, and still nothing. My husband thinks it might be the solenoid. Any other opinions are much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Explain "still nothing". Do the lights come on when the key is turned on? Does the horn work?

Now please give us an entry in the Member Introductions section and let us know a bit about yourselves. First bike ever or many before? Master mechanics?

I see Tom stopped by. What he said.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Explain "still nothing". Do the lights come on when the key is turned on? Does the horn work?

Now please give us an entry in the Member Introductions section and let us know a bit about yourselves. First bike ever or many before? Master mechanics?

The lights will barely flicker when we kick it, and the horn doesn’t work. My husband’s a mechanic, just hasn’t worked on a motorcycle before so we’re both learning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The lights will barely flicker when we kick it, and the horn doesn’t work. My husband’s a mechanic, just hasn’t worked on a motorcycle before so we’re both learning.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
I see Jim fixed you up with the FSM, it should have a wiring diagram. IIRC your headlight should come on when you turn the key on. It should go out when you press the start button and the solenoid should engage. It sounds like you have one or more bad connections, possibly a bad start button. They can be disassembled and cleaned. Battery cables are notorious for needing to be cleaned/tightened, especially the ground cable to frame connection. New batteries have also been known to be bad.

Some work with a multimeter should identify the culprit(s).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts