Frame Number SL350-3024484
Engine number Sl350E-3019060
Carby's are kehin
With what I have read it is a SL350 K2
Front and rear drum brakes
Aluminum guards
Kick start only
Hoping someone can help

I feel the tank my be off a CB350 not the Sl350 all the bikes I have seen the tank shape and striping are different
I have a few more parts that are not shown
The other engine is a CB350 engine for spare parts

·
Registered
1971 SL350 K1
282 Posts
Looks like a good project. Your assessment seems correct. It's probably a K2. The front looks like possibly a 360 with disc brake. Tank looks like a CB. I've sometimes thought about switching mine to triple discs but to do a nice job of it would be expensive. It has a K2 rear fender and tail light but those are interchangeable with a K1. The rear wheel and frame are SL but also are interchangeable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response
I went looking at CB bikes and I think you are right the front end is a CB with the fender being close to the wheel .
After having a discussion on another site someone suggested that the Tank is off a Honda CB 500 T
Now I need to source a front end and Tank to make it original

·
Registered
1973 Honda SL350 & 1970 SL100
27 Posts
Frame Number SL350-3024484
Engine number Sl350E-3019060

With what I have read it is a SL350 K2
The other engine is a CB350 engine for spare parts
Your engine number is 575 units later than mine, which was manufactured 3/72 but titled as a 1973. Both the 72 & 73 models are called K2, so you are correct either way. Your frame number should match the engine number, so obviously the engine in the frame is not the original. Possibly your "other engine" is the match. If so, and depending on what is wrong with it, my goal would be to get the original engine back in the matching frame.

The other folks assessment that the front forks, disc brakes, and fuel tank are incorrect for an SL350 is spot on. Those certainly have to go, if your objective is to get back to SL! :( Given that a correct SL is far more rare (only 90 to 91k made) than a CB or CL, restoring it as a proper SL would be my advice.

Here are some great sources for parts:
Homepage - Marbles Motors
Vintage Honda Motorcycle Parts & Accesories
Homepage - RARETRO MOTO - Handbuilt Motorcycles
Re-MX Inc
https://www.partzilla.com (Drill in and select "Models with no year" to find your bike)
https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-sl350_model294/ (Drill in and select "Models with no year" to find your bike)
Honda 350's and under. (Best price you will find for your missing side covers!)
https://allracehardware.com/collections/screw-kits/1973-honda-cl350-esr4446625 (Engine screw sets)
https://hondanuts.com/Exhaust-System-Honda-SL350K1-K2-P5683799.aspx (Among better prices for exhaust)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your engine number is 575 units later than mine, which was manufactured 3/72 but titled as a 1973. Both the 72 & 73 models are called K2, so you are correct either way. Your frame number should match the engine number, so obviously the engine in the frame is not the original. Possibly your "other engine" is the match. If so, and depending on what is wrong with it, my goal would be to get the original engine back in the matching frame.

The other folks assessment that the front forks, disc brakes, and fuel tank are incorrect for an SL350 is spot on. Those certainly have to go, if your objective is to get back to SL! :( Given that a correct SL is far more rare (only 90 to 91k made) than a CB or CL, restoring it as a proper SL would be my advice.

Re-MX Inc
https://www.partzilla.com (Drill in and select "Models with no year" to find your bike)
https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-sl350_model294/ (Drill in and select "Models with no year" to find your bike)
JIS Engine side covers screw kits (Engine screw sets)
Exhaust System Honda SL350K1-K2 - Northeast Vintage Cycle (Among better prices for exhaust)
Hi Clutch Cargo
Thanks for the information on the Sl350 and for all the links you have supplied
I love all the knowledge people are willing to share for the same passion of restoring bikes
Thanks for you help
Chris

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Clutch Cargo
Thanks for the information on the Sl350 and for all the links you have supplied
I love all the knowledge people are willing to share for the same passion of restoring bikes
Thanks for you help
Chris
My pleasure. Hopefully save you hours of digging. To me, the SL models are incredible collector pieces worthy of restoring to original condition. The little bike on the table is my SL100 that I have owned since new. I am currently doing a top to bottom restoration on it. Best of luck with yours.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice looking bikes Clutch.
Thanks! Look closely at the points cover, on the SL350, and you can see why I needed the one you sent me! Mine is cracked, filled in, sanded, and painted silver. Not horrible, but not correct to be painted like that. Thanks again for the part you sent!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts

Re-MX Inc
JIS Engine side covers screw kits (Engine screw sets)
Exhaust System Honda SL350K1-K2 - Northeast Vintage Cycle (Among better prices for exhaust)
are you sure the engine and chassis numbers should match?
mine don’t and i know it is original, and i am pretty sure i have read on this forum that engines and frames were just paired at random.

·
Registered
1971 SL350 K1
282 Posts
It's my understanding that they were paired at random. Also, for title purposes they always use the frame numbers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's my understanding that they were paired at random. Also, for title purposes they always use the frame numbers.
Well, I stand corrected! Going out to check this morning, mine are real close, but not an exact match. A little digging around the web, this morning, suggests that non-matching numbers is the norm. I know older brands, such as Bultaco, did not match numbers, but I was always under the impression that Honda did.

·
Registered
27 Posts
are you sure the engine and chassis numbers should match?
mine don’t and i know it is original, and i am pretty sure i have read on this forum that engines and frames were just paired at random.
You are correct! I was wrong about the matching. A quick check this morning shows mine do not match either. Real close, but not exact.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow Clutch Cargo
I love the quality of you resto work
From the information I received from the previous owner after talking to him It was the original engine for that bike

Maybe I need to ask you if you have some spare parts that you don't need anymore and are willing to sell at a reasonable cost to and Ozzie as parts in Australia are near imposable to source
Freight from the US is killer to make the resto work viable

·
Registered
27 Posts
I love the quality of you resto work
Thanks! Most rewarding to bring them back to original glory.

From the information I received from the previous owner after talking to him It was the original engine for that bike
Excellent. Didn't intend to raise alarm with my previous comment about matching numbers. Always something new to learn!

Maybe I need to ask you if you have some spare parts that you don't need anymore...{/QUOTE]
Actually, I have next to nothing spare, on the SL350, and you probably wouldn't want any of it, due to flaws (why it was replaced). The flip up gas cap, steering stem nut, etc. has bad or missing chrome.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Chris. Have you tried to get it to run yet. ?
At this point I have not tried to get it to run yet
Still working out if it is worth getting back to Original or just make it a runner and move it on
It's the freight from the US that makes the project a lot more expensive
The engine turns over and I have compression
The gears move up and down fine
no metal or crap came out of the engine oil
Points are in good condition
Cam chain tension seems fine
Carby's will need a good clean and check over
Electricals will need to be sorted out which is the current job to make it run
Spare time to work on projects is always the killer
So on that pretenses I don't think it will take to much to get it running

With your engines Did you sand blast them and then polished the engine?.
Did you hot wash or acid bath ?

·
Registered
1971 SL350 K1
282 Posts
Chris, my opinion is get it running and ride it. You can make changes when it suits you and your budget to get things better and closer to original. It sounds like you have a decent engine. The carb work is to be expected . I know what you mean about time. I work way too many hours. Most of the parts that I have cleaned up have been hand sanded and then polished. Steel wool or SOS pads to clean the fins.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chris, my opinion is get it running and ride it. You can make changes when it suits you and your budget to get things better and closer to original. It sounds like you have a decent engine. The carb work is to be expected . I know what you mean about time. I work way too many hours. Most of the parts that I have cleaned up have been hand sanded and then polished. Steel wool or SOS pads to clean the fins.
OK Clutch and Frank
I have gone over the electricals of the bike and tested every think I could.
Checked and tested stator GOOD
Tested coils primary windings and secondary windings found 1st coils GOOD and 2nd second coils is no good (ordered 2 new coils )
Tested condenser's and holding charge but not discharging so I have ordered new condenser's
Tested rectifier GOOD
Completed compression test 120 psi in both cylinders GOOD
Replaced spark plugs
I have overhauled the carby's
Adjusted Tappets and rechecked cam chain tension
checked and adjusted points and (ordered new points to have on hand )
Refitted battery box and air filter housings have new foam filters to be fitted
After inspecting the engine harness properly I have decided to make my own harness its a little bit of work but not a hard one to do
The earth system must of had a problem as the green earth wire has melted in a couple of spots
At least when I have completed the wiring I know it will be right
not going to do anything else till I have made it run
Once I have made it run then I will pull engine out and repaint the frame and rebuild the rear end before pulling engine apart and cleaning and polishing to make it shinny

On another note I pulled the second engine down and inspected how bad that engine is and found a couple of problems but very repairable engine
MISSING PARTS ON CB 350 K4
pistons /camshaft and camshaft sprocket and camshaft guide
started motor /chain and gear
DAMAGED PARTS FOUND
kick starter spring broken
gear selector shaft striped on the end
other wise I think this engine is going to be rebuilt and sold off to help pay for my resto on the SL350

Keep an eye out for a good seat and tank for us
Talk to you Later
Chris

·
Registered
1971 SL350 K1
282 Posts
Good work Chris. Very thorough. I also made my wiring harness. Burned ground wires are not a good thing. Probably a short circuit at some time. The single fuse is inadequate but for originality it must be used. If all is in good condition and maintained it will be ok. If originality is not a concern then an upgrade would be a consideration. Compression should be more but get it running and check it. Do you have a factory service manual. ? If not it can be found online .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good work Chris. Very thorough. I also made my wiring harness. Burned ground wires are not a good thing. Probably a short circuit at some time. The single fuse is inadequate but for originality it must be used. If all is in good condition and maintained it will be ok. If originality is not a concern then an upgrade would be a consideration. Compression should be more but get it running and check it. Do you have a factory service manual. ? If not it can be found online .
Funny you should ask about the Manual
I was going through my dad shed cleaning up stuff and looking for spare parts and I found the Original manual and The SL350 parts book for the bike (found a little piece of gold )
We have a long weekend over here coming up but we are in LOCKDOWN due to covid for a few days it will give me some more time to play on the bike.
I have already got correct wiring colours for the loom and all the terminal pins so a few hours should have it done .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts