Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Twins Lovers: I'm thinking about buying a 1969 sl350, but I'm not sure about it. The bike only has 10,000 miles on it and is in awesome shape. I'm finding out however, that several models where built and some are better (more valuable) than others - can anyone help me?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
First off, welcome to the HondaTwins forum. If I was you I would buy it and not worry about the different models. One of the SL350 guys will jump in here, but the SL350 went through a bunch of different models. Production ran from '69 to 72 and this bike saw more change in that time than just about any of the 350 models. The bottom line was none of them were very good dirt bikes. they were very heavy and in the beginning the engine was the same as the CB/CL series. In 1970 the frame was changed to a double down tube and the electric stater was deleted. In '71 the front wheel was changed to a 21". In '72 the engine got non-CV carburetors and the engine was tuned for more bottom end. The early ones were good for desert and forest service roads. The later 21" front wheel ones were sand challenged. The main problem is the suspension. By the mid 70s there had been a lot of improvments in this area and the big bike manufacturers had models designed specifically for off road. They are great for the on-off road use. Let us know what you do!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honda SL350 Breakdown

Good day Jim - Thanks so much for the link - it has proved very helpful! I will send you pics on my new (classic);) Honda SL 350 Twin soon!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good Day Jim #1 - Your response was excellent and convinced me to go for the SL 350 KO - I'm going to pick her up on Monday and make sure she has a good new home for as long as I'm around. Like boat owners, we are just care givers until someone else takes over after we are gone. - I'll send you and Jim #2 pics soon. Chuck

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Chuck, we will be waiting for the pictures. While your at it, add your location to your signature.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Good Day Jim and the Rest,

So I finally got around to updating my profile as well as adding a photo album of "Old Goldie". Although I'm not sure how you get there from here. Also, I've noticed that later models of the SL350 had passenger pegs, and the K0 version goes so far as to place a plate on the rear finder saying that this bike is intended for only (1) passenger with a max weight capacity of 220lbs. Can anyone shed some light on that for me?

·
Registered
186 Posts
That is a very nice looking Sl, was it restored or original condition? You should add a couple of photos to this post (third icon from the right above reply box). I'd be very happy to be the owner of one as nice as that one. dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IMG_0566.jpg

Good Day Dave - Thanks for your response to my thread. The bike has never been restored and is in 95% original condition from what I can tell and have been told by the previous owner. However the front tire is a 3.00 and not a 3.25 (which is the correct size). Should I change it back to the 3.25 tire.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Very nice example of this model. The K0 as you know was the only electric start version but there were other changes with the K1 version. All new frame was the biggest I think. There's a section in the 350 FSM that describes model changes per year and this site has a few https://www.motorera.com/honda/h0350/motospor.htm. I know the exhaust system for the K0 will only fit that model, K1 and 2 won't fit properly
As for the 220# weight limit and single rider? I don't know. This was Honda's first "dual sport" machine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts