Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, I'm Mike from St. Louis, Missouri. I just picked up a 75 CB200T that needs some work. I'm planning a full tear down, engine rebuild and who know's what else I will come up with when putting it back together. Honestly, I just picked the bike up because it was cheap, I saw potential and I needed a project. It supposedly ran before it was parked 6 months ago... I'm sure we have all heard that one though. I just pulled the carbs and have them in my ultrasonic cleaner. The tank has rust so I pulled that to clean it out as well. Funny, someone deleted the petcock and welded a metal tube in place and I have no idea what the reasoning behind that is. I'll be grinding that off and adding a petcock again.

I'm not a stranger to bikes. I've had my fair share. I had a 72 Yamaha R5 that I built from the ground up and a 73 RD350 that I fixed and flipped. Those were very fun bikes.

Here is the 72 R5 when I found it and how it turned out when I was done.

I also own a 15 Ducati 899 Panigale

I will be reading and learning a lot before i really start tearing into the CB200. Can anyone suggest some sites that are good to pick some parts up from?
What AGM style batteries are being run w/ these also?

Looking forward to gaining knowledge!

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Welcome to the group.

CMSNL and Western Honda get good reviews around here along with others. Then there's always e-bay................

·
Registered
170 Posts
Looking forward to reading your updates. Curious to hear how you will deal with the gas tank rust (I find there are many opinions on how to handle this). Does Dime City Cycles sell CB200 parts? Bike Bandit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Great job on the R5. Looking forward to seeing the Honda when its finished. You might also try MotorcycleSolutionsLLC.com, classic honda restoration or Bill Sliver Spares. kinda pricey but if you cant find a part from another source you do what you have too.

Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking forward to reading your updates. Curious to hear how you will deal with the gas tank rust (I find there are many opinions on how to handle this). Does Dime City Cycles sell CB200 parts? Bike Bandit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I take a different approach to rust removal in tanks.
I pour a bunch of BB's in the tank. Seal it up. Wrap it very well inside packing cushions i get from work and moving blankets, tape it all up and throw it in the clothes dryer on no heat and let it tumble a while. This removes the bulk of the rust, then i will run a solution of naval jelly in it to clear any surface rust. Rinse it well, dry with compressed air and fog with a rust inhibitor until ready for use.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I take a different approach to rust removal in tanks.
I pour a bunch of BB's in the tank. Seal it up. Wrap it very well inside packing cushions i get from work and moving blankets, tape it all up and throw it in the clothes dryer on no heat and let it tumble a while. This removes the bulk of the rust, then i will run a solution of naval jelly in it to clear any surface rust. Rinse it well, dry with compressed air and fog with a rust inhibitor until ready for use.
I do it similarly. I fill it up with water and coarse gravel, then strap it to a portable cement mixer. That way, I can also turn it around in different positions easily. After a few minutes, it is always quite shiny inside. I dry the tank thoroughly for a couple of days, then coat it inside with a fuel resistant paint.

If there are holes, it either needs to be welded or brazed with brass. Standard solder also works well, but if you want to repair fuel tank leaks, it's better to do with something more permanent...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hate to be a buzzkill here, but I would pay more for the R5 in the before picture than the after. Original is king in my book, just my opinion, but carry on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hate to be a buzzkill here, but I would pay more for the R5 in the before picture than the after. Original is king in my book, just my opinion, but carry on.
Ouch, you're really not going to like the CB200 when I'm done with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts