Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of new tires for my 450. I really like the original tires I see on the old magazines of the 80's ....tires with lateral grooves!

From 1983 to 1986 I see they use Bridgestone Mag Mopus L303 on front, on rear wich one?
On 1982 was Dunlop Qualifier, but which one?
Anyhow, I made a research, and I can't find any Bridgestone or Dunlop tire with that similar design in TL (TubeLess), all are TubeType.
My '86 Nighthawk is TL, with dimensions front: 100/90 19 (4.00 19) Rear 130/90 16 (5.00 16)
In case, can I mount TT? How easy?

nighthawk 05.jpg nighthawk 04.jpg nighthawk 02.jpg nighthawk 03.jpg

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
TT, tube type, tires require the use of tubes. You can run either version, TT or TL. The later solid wheels were all tubeless, some of the late Comstar wheels where also.
As for the actual tires Honda used different spec tires in different markets. Unless you're doing a museum restoration it really doesn't matter which tire you go with. For a show bike they would be looking for the Dunlop Qualifier since that was the most common one used. Honda doesn't supply any of that specific information

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason was just aestethic, cause in Europe I can't find tires in TL with this retro design (I mean with lateral grooves!). There are some similar but all in TT. And the dimensions are not the same as specified, all are 1 or 2 inches narrower.
At the end I will have to buy some today standard transformers robotic tires :)

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Correct tire sizes are 3.50 19 or 100/90/19 front and 130/90/16 rear. Honda didn't use a numeric rear tire.
I don't know the tire situation in Europe, here in the States we've got numerous suppliers and choices to work with but import duties are a killer for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts