Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just near completely restored the engine, cause the 5th gear was wear out bad. But I didn't checked the Oil Pump. So I just bought a Pressure Gauge for general use, for air and Oil too. 60 PSI scale.
On my Honda CB450SC service Manual says:
oil.JPG

I connected it near the Oil cooler, start the engine, and the needle goes all around over the 60 PSI limit!! Likely it measures 80PSI at idle!!! Something wrong with the gauge or the engine?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I just near completely restored the engine, cause the 5th gear was wear out bad. But I didn't checked the Oil Pump. So I just bought a Pressure Gauge for general use, for air and Oil too. 60 PSI scale.
On my Honda CB450SC service Manual says:
View attachment 268386

I connected it near the Oil cooler, start the engine, and the needle goes all around over the 60 PSI limit!! Likely it measures 80PSI at idle!!! Something wrong with the gauge or the engine?
IDK a lot about such, but I do know on myold Subaru, the oil pressure gauge works normally with conventional oil, but reads off the scale with synthetic, no idea why, tho the pressure isn't hiigher, I think it just reads wrong. That would only count if you're running synthetic though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Engine warm?
No at start was cold, but I let the engine on for 10 minutes, and infact the needle went down a little bit, still exagerate about 80PSI
IDK a lot about such, but I do know on myold Subaru, the oil pressure gauge works normally with conventional oil, but reads off the scale with synthetic, no idea why, tho the pressure isn't hiigher, I think it just reads wrong. That would only count if you're running synthetic though.
Thank you, I check the data sheet of the pressure gauge they give me, and I think it's not a good one for this purpose, they say:

FOR GENERAL INDUSTRY, GASES AND LIQUIDS NOT VISCOUS, NOT AGGRESSIVE AND NOT CRYSTALLISING

gauge.JPG

I have 100% mineral oil this time. 10W40. I don't know if this can make differences.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Sounds like it may be worth the effort to check it with another gauge.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I would check the oil pressure relief valve to be sure it's free, they will gum up and stick over time. It's accessible with the right side cover off. Take it apart to clean
201_4483.JPG

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Jim, the 2 things I didn't (stupidly) check, it's the relief valve and the oil pump. I will update soon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts