Honda Twins banner

Honda made some remarkably durable engines...

938 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  dtsmjr8dan 
#1 ·
I just picked up the new battery for my CM450C, and (of course) couldn't resist starting it up. It sat 3 years with gas in the tank (I did drain the carbs, and I have no idea why I didn't drain the tank), and, of course, the battery died. I got the new one hooked up, turned on the petcock, pulled the choke, and hit the starter... and it started right up after about 3 seconds.

It runs a little bit rough, but smoothed out quite a bit in the minute or two I let it run. I'm impressed... I'd figured I'd have to do quite a bit of coaxing to get it to run at all!

Now it's back on the battery tender until the weekend. Next steps, replace the old gas with new, and finish re-installing the front brake.

#7 ·
I checked the oil and confirmed that it seemed OK. I plan on changing it this weekend, though.

I changed it just before I was injured (which is why it sat for three years), so while it needs to be done, I know it wasn't too terrible to begin with.

#9 ·
The engine out of my 80 is in my 79 right now. When I got that bike, the right side engine cover was off and it had sat open in a shed (with sawdust and regular dust for , I don't know how long). I power washed the bottom end out, dried it thoroughly, put the cover back on, filled it with fresh oil and filter, then ran it for about 100 miles. Then drained it again and put fresh oil and filter again. Been running it since last fall. Taking it for a 1200 mile ride this weekend. No reservations. These engines are well made, but need to be looked after.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.