Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lesson for those buying brake pads for your K3-K7 disc brake pads.

Apparently, the K3/K4 pads are different from the K5-K7 pads so pay attention to what "K" number bike you have an not what year the bike is.

I know this but my dealer ordered the wrong brake pads from EBC but since they were for a 450 I figured they'd fit. Alas, the K3/K4 are different from later years.

·
Registered
636 Posts
correct, the earlier ones use EBC FA12, the later FA13. FA12's the pad surface is completely round and there is a fixed post on the back of one, the 13's have a notch on each, no post, and the pad itself has a flat near the notch.

I had to push the honda dealer to get the FA12's for my K4 when his system was saying to get the 13's.

The caliper is different, the k3/k4 has the bleed and the brake line in a "V" parallel to the disc, in the later caliper, the bleed and brake line both point straight up and are lined up perpendicular to the disc. I would just check that, rather than rely on a bike that is 40 years old actually still having the correct parts from its year on it.

to show the difference, see bikebandit fiche's:
K3/K4
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorc ... k4/o/m9139

K5+
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorc ... k5/o/m9199

I like the pads

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
delineator said:
correct, the earlier ones use EBC FA12, the later FA13. FA12's the pad surface is completely round and there is a fixed post on the back of one, the 13's have a notch on each, no post, and the pad itself has a flat near the notch.

I had to push the honda dealer to get the FA12's for my K4 when his system was saying to get the 13's.

The caliper is different, the k3/k4 has the bleed and the brake line in a "V" parallel to the disc, in the later caliper, the bleed and brake line both point straight up and are lined up perpendicular to the disc. I would just check that, rather than rely on a bike that is 40 years old actually still having the correct parts from its year on it.

I like the pads
Exactly, if you know the differences in calipers then that's the key. In my case, I thought they all used the same caliper. As soon as I got them home and saw the post sticking out of the stock pads I knew they were wrong.

Additionally, the FA13 are a couple of mm's larger in diameter and don't fit the bore either.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
delineator said:
I think I know why the dealer is reluctant to carry the FA12's. We looked up the CB450 in two different EBC books and they both showed the FA13's fitting all models of the CB450.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts