Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, Iv been thinking about over the winter pulling my motor off and changing it for a bigger one. Im not sure what to do iv been looking in to a 500 or 650 but not sure if it will work with my 1980 Honda hawk frame. can anyone help me out? Iv looked around and dose'nt seem like anyone has done this, i was thinking maybe a nighthawk 650 or a cb500 or even a 1989 Honda hawk 650 motor but i don't think any will just bolt up to where my motor mounts are anyone have any ideas? i love my 1980 honda hawk and don't want to get rid of it, just to get a bigger bike im pretty good as fixing this bike iv done alot to it like changed all seals rebuild carbs pretty much rebuilt the top motor and soon doing the clutch, so im pretty good at understand of the bike but any help would be good thank

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
The 2 cylinder SOHC 450 will work, it's been done here so you would have good guidance as you did the work.

The others you mention are 4 cylinder engines. While anything can be done, what you would end up with would not be the bike you enjoy so much today. Unless your goal is to enjoy the satisfaction of accomplishing the task rather than riding the end product it would probably be disappointing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 2 cylinder SOHC 450 will work, it's been done here so you would have good guidance as you did the work.

The others you mention are 4 cylinder engines. While anything can be done, what you would end up with would not be the bike you enjoy so much today. Unless your goal is to enjoy the satisfaction of accomplishing the task rather than riding the end product it would probably be disappointing.
have you done it ? im just looking for some more power i would like to have that power when on the highway.. right now when going around 110 or 120 theres not alot more pull when you need it do you think a 450 would work ?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
If you want more power, just go buy a bigger motorcycle. Honda twins are very carefully engineered. They are not like British bikes of the day where many different engines from different manufacturers were exchanged. I suppose you could go to a four cylinder engine, but why? The biggest challange would be to get the engine on the bike center line and have the chain line up. The 450 SOHC engine is in the same family as your 400 hawk and would be an OK swap. I'm not sure you would get much more out of the 450 than the 400.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Longdistancerider has experience with this, can't find the thread at the moment.

Going to the 450 would gain a few horsepower, get you a six speed transmission, and you'd gain an oil cooler. Improvement would be noticeable.

It would be helpful if we knew a bit more about you, like where you are and how much experience you have. I'm only ASSUMING that you're talking in Km/hr, not miles/hr!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Longdistancerider has experience with this, can't find the thread at the moment.

Going to the 450 would gain a few horsepower, get you a six speed transmission, and you'd gain an oil cooler. Improvement would be noticeable.

It would be helpful if we knew a bit more about you, like where you are and how much experience you have. I'm only ASSUMING that you're talking in Km/hr, not miles/hr!
hey thanks for the reply, for my experience its just on my 400 but if done almost everything beside the transmission apart. i have the book for all 400 and 450 hondas so its not hard when i get stuck. and as for where i live in ontario close to kingston ontario

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Personally I prefer the 400 over the 450 due to the oiling system changed Honda made. I think the 450 is more prone to left rod failure because of it. However the 450 does have some nice features that can be incorporated into the 400. One piece balancer's. 6 speed transmission. Oil cooler. Oil pressure fed intake rocker arms and cam lobe lubrication.
The difference between a 400 and 450 is 4 HP. 43 vs. 47
The biggest improvement I've had though came from fixing the ignition system. Besides the GM coil mod with the 8mm steel core wires I am running the Ignitech ignition module. Now I actually have and advance curve that seems to match the original design which is not the case if using the stock CDI unit. It's as fast and maybe faster on acceleration as my '07 Subaru Imprezza which is no slouch. Pulls fast and hard all the way into the rev limiter which is set at 10K

1 - 7 of 7 Posts