Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a stock Honda CM-200T with original fork oil and 8K miles I read no time limit on fork oil replacement, but should change at 20K miles on street bikes.

The front fork works well. Do I have to drain and add new fork oil due to a time limit? It is a pain as the fork does not have any drain plugs.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I am looking at the same thing on my CB400T II. At 15,000 miles the forks feel good and do not leak. I am going to take the bike apart and repair what need repair and paint everything. Trying to decide what to do about the forks, put in new seals and fluid or ride them until I feel like they need attention??? I have done several sets of forks, and yes, they are a pain and a nasty job to boot. Undecided???

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The fork oil breaks down, it really stinks when it comes out like old burnt 90W gear oil. I'd replace the seals and oil since you're going this far. 20K is really pushing it for an oil change, 15K is better.

·
Registered
297 Posts
What NOT to do after draining oil: push down on handlebars to squish out last bit. The forks travel further than they have been, forcing the seals over the grime line...then you HAVE to change seals. Ask me how I know...

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
So is there a way to change fork oil with out removing the forks or flipping the bike upside down. cb450
There's a 10mm bolt at the bottom outside of each fork for draining the oil. You will need to support the front end of the bike with a stand or something because when you remove the fork caps the spring that hold the bike up will come out causing the front end to collapse.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So support the front of bike , so wheel is off the ground. Release air pressure and then topnut. Open bottom nut and drain. Close bottom nut. And 6.3 oz of ATF. replace top nut. then air to 13 psi. Correct Jim?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts