Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

This here marks the start of my latest project, the full restoration of a Honda CD200 Roadmaster.

I spotted the bike for sale while browsing on Gumtree about three weeks back, and after a few phone calls to the seller we agreed on a selling price and I arranged to collect the bike from him that Saturday. I live in Durban, South Africa and the seller, being based in Johannesburg, made for quite the drive to collect the bike (1200km round trip- 600km each way) I left home at 3 am on that Saturday morning in my trusty Nissan 1400 bakkie (pickup) and arrived at the sellers house just after 9. The bike was in decent condition,better than the photos posted online, and upon opening the fuel tank I was quite surprised to find absolutely no rust on the inside. This is one of the benefits of buying a bike from up-country, way less corrosion overall. I was happy with it and reckoned it would make a great bike to restore as most of its parts were there and it hadn't been modified as far as I could see. The compression was also pretty good. Payment was made and I soon began the return leg of the journey. I arrived home at about 5pm that evening absolutely buggered from the long hours spent driving and without delay, my 3 year old son was all over the bike asking a million questions about it.

IMG_20180915_184705.jpg

I spent the following day trying to get it to run, which I eventually did, having found the float installed upside down in the carb ! :confused:

Please excuse my filthy garage. I will clean it someday in the not too distant future:D.

I went for a short spin around the house before putting her back in the garage to stare at some more.

To conclude, this will be a long term project due to the fact that spare parts are no longer available from Honda SA anymore . It looks like I will have to import almost everything which is going to increase costs enormously.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok just to bring this thread up to speed with what I have achieved so far:

I have completely stripped the bike down besides the engine which i will tackle last.

I ran into an issue trying to remove the swing arm bolt which was jammed up solid in the frame.

IMG_20180926_082417.jpg IMG_20180926_095512.jpg

IMG_20180926_095528.jpg IMG_20180926_103802.jpg

I first tried heating the tube up with a torch but only had limited success as it only moved out by about 60mm and then jammed up solid again.
The next trick was to try and jack it out with a length of M12 High tensile thread bar. This was welded onto the end of the bolt and a pipe placed over it. A 12mm long nut and a 30mm socket to act as a washer did the trick.

I did soak the bolt in brake fluid before attempting to jack it out. This stuff penetrates very nicely as the whole bolt was wet when it came out.

With the swing arm free the paint stripping can now commence.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just going to strip the paint off and respray it black again. There was a bit of surface rust where battery acid leaked onto the frame but nothing too serious.

I've already stripped the airbox and it seems that it's electroplated ? Why I say this is it is a dull grey colour that doesn't seem to rust as steel would when exposed. I'll post a pic later when I'm home.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are some photos of the airbox and cover that seem to be plated with something. Does anyone know what this is ?
Im unsure how to proceed (refinishing wise) as this "coating" will affect my choice of primer.

View attachment 265430
Air box.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts