Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I've recently restored the above bike. I've used the original alternator and rectifier. The battery was replaced with the correct Yuasa wet type. The battery is maintained on a battery tender as the bike is currently mothballed for winter. The bike mileage is 12500. The bike stood for over twenty years before I purchased it.

The indicators are slow to flash with the ignition on but with the engine not running. Initially the right side wouldn't flash at all but the left would. Now they are both not flashing with the ignition on and the engine not running. With the engine running the left side flashes OK but the right side either flashes very slowly or not at all even if the engine revs are increased.

When the bike is being ridden both sets of indicators flash when used albeit the right slightly slower than the left.

The battery is showing 6.4V from a test meter

The indicators bulbs are all 6v x 18W. The Nippon Denso relay is 18w x 2 + 1.5W. It's the original relay as I've tried to keep the bike as original as possible.

What steps can I take to analyse the issue or should I just accept this as a feature of the 6V system?
Should I try a 21w indicator bulb as I believe this will increase the load on the realy and prompt the indicators to flash?
Is the rectifier at fault?

I'm not considering upgrading to a 12V system.

Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Sounds like a dirty or rusty contact or ground path.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The ground for the rear indicators is by metal washers that are connected to the bike's earth wiring system. The rear earths were re-wired, the metal washers de-rusted and plated. The same with the front but the existing earth wires were OK. I'll go through all the connections with some emery cloth just to make sure there is a good contact.

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
I believe he meant the contacts within the flasher as well........

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Yes, vintage electricals do retain that 'look' but functionally they will suffer the effects of age as do we all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, vintage electricals do retain that 'look' but functionally they will suffer the effects of age as do we all.
I agree. I took a look at the innards of the relay and it appears to be pristine. I cleaned the contacts just to be sure. As it was happening on one side I took a look at the bulbs. On the left they still had the original Stanley bulbs but on the right they were pattern bulbs but still 6v 18w. I swapped the bulbs over and found the fault swapped as well. One or both of the pattern bulbs must not be 18 watts. Doh!

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Well, at least you know what's going on now..........Easy fix.....

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
...and you've verified that your OE flasher is good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree. I took a look at the innards of the relay and it appears to be pristine. I cleaned the contacts just to be sure. As it was happening on one side I took a look at the bulbs. On the left they still had the original Stanley bulbs but on the right they were pattern bulbs but still 6v 18w. I swapped the bulbs over and found the fault swapped as well. One or both of the pattern bulbs must not be 18 watts. Doh!
Thanks for your help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts