Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started to fix up the CB450 K2 1969 I traded for my CB500 four K1 in January so I thought I might as well start a project log. I've been riding the bike far enough to find some problems that needs attention. When I got the bike I knew the starter clutch was out of order so I'm kick starting the bike at the moment. The bike felt really strange under hard braking and it turned out to be an unwanted play in the steering bearings. With a warm engine the idle stuck at about 2000 rpm at traffic lights. Almost all cables are routed wrong and the fuel lines are cracked.

Cosmetically the side cover emblems are home painted and the seat cover and padding is not stock. The seat is very comfy though and my wife says it's much comfier to ride pillion than on the K1.

[attachment=0:2opo1lu9]SSA54385-1024.jpg[/attachment:2opo1lu9]

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
hello!!!! NICE BIKE!!! I ALSO HAVE A 69 450,MINE LOOKS A LITTLE DIFFERENT???!!! NOT AS NICE AS YOURS!! AWAITING GOOD WEATHER TO BRING MINE TO LIFE(SHED FIND)HA! HA! :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
The K2 was the first CB450 that didn't have chrome fuel tank panels ... the bike pictured is a K1, right?. Both the K1 and K2 were sold during 1969. The CB450 K1 is one of my favorite Honda designs ever ... nice bike. Looking forward to following your progress!

I recall that the K1 came with a black seat with white piping. Looks like the round fuel tank emblem is a replacement ... never saw one like that. Nice bike ... I'm envious.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ByTheLake said:
The K2 was the first CB450 that didn't have chrome fuel tank panels ... the bike pictured is a K1, right?. Both the K1 and K2 were sold during 1969. The CB450 K1 is one of my favorite Honda designs ever ... nice bike. Looking forward to following your progress!

I recall that the K1 came with a black seat with white piping. Looks like the round fuel tank emblem is a replacement ... never saw one like that. Nice bike ... I'm envious.
The bike is a European market early K2. The K1 tank with chrome sides was used here from start of K2 production at frame no CB450-3008956 up to CB450-3021591. The tank emblems are Swedish market only. The Swedish flour company Kungsörnen claimed copyright on the Honda wing so the H-emblem was used here.

Isn't this logo confusingly similar to the Honda wing? :lol: :lol: :lol:

[attachment=0:15rjpx9o]SSA50637-1024.jpg[/attachment:15rjpx9o]

Attachments

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
I think that the laywer that saw the Honda wing must have had too many Schnapps & Herring at Midsommer festivites :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Seriously, that doesn't look the same at all.

I really like that emblem, I would be interested in acquiring a set (somehow).

And the bike is pristine. Interesting combo of the (US) K1 and K2+ side covers. Odd the way they scramble things up sometimes.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes Nige, maybe he jumped like a frog one turn to many around the midsummer pole. :lol: :lol:
By the way, ones culture can look pretty funny when you view it through the eyes of a stranger. :lol: :lol:

The bike needs new steering head bearings so tapered ones are ordered from DS where I also ordered the small parts to rebuild the starter clutch. The K2 side cover emblems are difficult to restore with a good result and DS had 2 NOS on the shelf so they are on their way too. The ignition was a bit off and it was sloppy advancer springs that caused the high idle. After i tightened up the end loops on the springs the bike is running really sweet.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Are you going to stick with points or go to the pamco ignition system?

Love the midsommar pole, we have a sililar thing in the UK called the May Pole. I will try to find and attach a video of one.

Found this

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now when I've got the K2 running as Soichiro intended I'm going to mount a Pamco ignition. It made the K1 start and idle much better.

Sweet watching the kids work on the May pole. Seems like both our cultures are a bit obsessed with poles. :lol: :lol: :shock: :?

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got some work done on the K2 this week.

I had a non healthy play in the stock steering bearings so I mounted a tapered bearing kit from David Silver. According to the instructions the included, quite thick, washer should be mounted under the bearing on the stem. When I did this the stem nut could not grip the threads so I had to tare everything off again and remove the washer. Then one of the steering stops was very slightly binding. A little work with a hand file took care of that and now it works perfectly.

[attachment=1:65t5pxb5]SSA54556-1024.jpg[/attachment:65t5pxb5]

[attachment=0:65t5pxb5]SSA54558-1024.jpg[/attachment:65t5pxb5]

The side cover emblems looked fine from a couple of yards but close up they looked like they were painted by a 5-year old. I managed to get hold of 2 NOS emblems and what a difference.
[attachment=2:65t5pxb5]CB450 K2 side cover emblem.jpg[/attachment:65t5pxb5]

Attachments

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Didn't get much work done this weekend since I was busy celebrating my 50'th birthday so now I'm entitled to apply for a senior motorcycle insurance. Lots of surprises on Saturday with visits from people I've not met in a while. We had perfect summer weather on Sunday so it was spent at the beach. Couldn't have had a better weekend! :D
[attachment=4:le4d6xlf]P7086182-1024-e.jpg[/attachment:le4d6xlf]

The remaining problem with the K2 is that the electric start is slipping and not working properly so it's time for a rebuild of the starter clutch. That means the engine has to be drained on oil and since the fuel tap is leaking (flows as well in off position as in on), which means I risk to get fuel in the oil, I have to rebuild the tap too.
[attachment=3:le4d6xlf]SSA54650-1024.jpg[/attachment:le4d6xlf]

Wonder why it was leaking. :roll:
[attachment=2:le4d6xlf]SSA54648-1024.jpg[/attachment:le4d6xlf]

Also installed a quick release fuel coupling on the tank overflow line.
[attachment=1:le4d6xlf]SSA54640-1024.jpg[/attachment:le4d6xlf]

Tucks away nicely.
[attachment=0:le4d6xlf]SSA54641-1024.jpg[/attachment:le4d6xlf]

Attachments

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Managed to remove the left side engine cover without removing anything else (except for the gear change pedal) and also managed to remove the gasket without destroying it.
[attachment=4:3hwrgzdd]SSA54673-1024.jpg[/attachment:3hwrgzdd]

Replaced the springs, metal cups and rollers with new ones.
[attachment=3:3hwrgzdd]SSA54674-1024.jpg[/attachment:3hwrgzdd]

The bearing surface looked almost polished so I replaced the whole unit.
[attachment=2:3hwrgzdd]SSA54677-1024.jpg[/attachment:3hwrgzdd]

Several friends have had problems with oil leaks at the rubber where the generator wires goes through the crankcase so I always put a dab of Hondabond around it before assembly.
[attachment=1:3hwrgzdd]SSA54680-1024.jpg[/attachment:3hwrgzdd]

Finally my days of kicking myself blue in the face are over as the electric starter now works as Soichiro intended. :D

I've also mounted another seat I had laying around while I rebuild the stock seat some PO have overstuffed with padding. I'm going to try to build a gel padded stock looking touring seat.
[attachment=0:3hwrgzdd]SSA54681-1024.jpg[/attachment:3hwrgzdd]

Attachments

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Hej Ronny Walkommen to the 50's (though I leave them in January :lol: :lol: :lol: )
The new 450 looks very nice

·
Registered
29 Posts
Congrats Ronny to your 50th birthday! Time flies, and it is hard to realize
that one of the Beatles hits is valid for me now!

But what the heck, you are not older than your wallet is thick...and old Honda twins
keep you young and beautiful.... :D :D :D

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is what my K2 looks like now with the specially made gel padded touring seat.
Touring seat build log here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16975

[attachment=2:31uanelr]SSA54856-1024.jpg[/attachment:31uanelr]

Yesterday I replaced the stock black taillight bracket for a chromed one I found at a swap meet two weeks ago. Think it's from a CB500T or a Gold Wing. Also mounted a chromed number plate holder. The bike already has a non stock chromed chain guard and the black taillight bracket is one of the few things I don't really like on the CB450.
Oh, did I mention BTW that I like chrome. :D

[attachment=1:31uanelr]SP_A0704-1024.jpg[/attachment:31uanelr]

I think this is a very good slogan. Too many classic bikes are parked up in garages and never seen in the streets.

[attachment=0:31uanelr]SP_A0702-1024.jpg[/attachment:31uanelr]

Attachments

1 - 20 of 76 Posts