Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a video that should help you help me find out what the heck is wrong with my bike. Timing is set, valve clearance set, cleaned and set carbs, everything I can think of. Seems like something is stopping the engine from turning over properly. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Do you hear or feel anything if you turn it over by hand? Meaning, by using socket on the alternator bolt and rotating the engine. Does it happen at a particular spot in the cycle? Try it with the valve cover off and see if anything is going on up there with the cams or chain while rotating.

Have you checked the balancer to make sure its adjusted correctly?

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Sounds like Cam timing or "misadjusted" valves to me, but check the basics....

Fuel/air to the cylinders?

Are you getting Spark? (spark timing is factory set so it shouldn't be that, but plugs could be fouled or "kill" wire grounded)
Do you have good compression (160+)?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
It sounds to me like just a low battery. Did you try jumping it from a car battery?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not a car battery no, but a couple different bike batts. Also jumped from a bike batt. I can also turn the thing over by hand so I know there's nothing hanging the engine up inside. If the bikes cold and we try to start with the choke off it doesn't happen. Only with the choke on when it wants to kick.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like I've got poor compression, providing I tested right. What I did was use the electric start to test. Just put the gauge in the sparkplug hole and hit the start button. Left side is just under 100 psi and right is 119. Supposed to be between 171-199. I'm hoping I can fix this with the engine on the bike.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
When testing the compression, you have to make sure the choke is open ('off') and you have the throttle wide open. Is this how you did it? If not, test it again, it could be the reason for the low numbers.

If you do have to work on the top end though, it can all be done with the engine in the frame.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Have you ensured your valve clearances are adjusted correctly? If not, they could cause compression loss. To help determine if the rings are the culprit add a teaspoon of oil to each cylinder and do the test again. If the numbers jump significantly then it usually indicates bad rings. If they don't jump much it could just mean valves.

Hopefully its just valves, but if not, these bikes are very easy to work on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts