Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

I am noticing that I have some fuel/oil on my points "line" which keeps coming back after I start the bike. This tends to accumulate on the line, the spark plug area, and 2 of the cooling fins on which the points "line" lies. I took off the points cover and noticed that it had some fuel/oil in it as well. I noticed that one of the 2 rubber plugs was missing (see picture) which is a part of the camshaft system. Is this the source of the leak?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Are you sure it's not the #36 oil seal?

That being said, I have NO KNOWLEDGE of 350/360 twins.. :roll:

My only suggestion would be clean the area really good, run it for a few minutes with a couple revs, then open it up and have a peek..

Anyone else have any idea??

GB :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,168 Posts
FIRST, There should be NO fuel in either the oil or in that cover.... There are two ways the fuel can get into the oil....1, the petcock is left on, it overfill the carb and drains in.... 2 bad rings....... SMELL your dipstick, if it smells of fuel, DRAIN the oil, flush, and replace with fresh oil....DO NOT RUN ENGINE!!!!!....
If it is just oil, you have a bad seal, bad rings (excessive crankcase pressure) or a plugged vent or vent line(excessive CC pressure again)..... FIND the CAUSE and fix before going any further..... Steve

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
66Sprint said:
FIRST, There should be NO fuel in either the oil or in that cover.... There are two ways the fuel can get into the oil....1, the petcock is left on, it overfill the carb and drains in.... 2 bad rings....... SMELL your dipstick, if it smells of fuel, DRAIN the oil, flush, and replace with fresh oil....DO NOT RUN ENGINE!!!!!....
If it is just oil, you have a bad seal, bad rings (excessive crankcase pressure) or a plugged vent or vent line(excessive CC pressure again)..... FIND the CAUSE and fix before going any further..... Steve
Oh the thing is I wasn't sure if it was fuel or oil. Upon closer inspection it is just oil

·
Sensei
27,168 Posts
Bonus!...That eliminates some of the "worse" possibilities...... I'd check the vent just to be sure, and replace the camshaft seal and the missing plug.....Then re-check.... Steve

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
on my CL350 it was seal similar to #36.

And then there's a breather hole behind it that drains high up oil to down low behind that seal that was clogged up.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
66Sprint said:
Bonus!...That eliminates some of the "worse" possibilities...... I'd check the vent just to be sure, and replace the camshaft seal and the missing plug.....Then re-check.... Steve
The rubber plug has to be in place or oil will leak into cover. replace that first and see if leak goes away.
If engine was run without points cover in place they can fall out ('tabs' on cover hold it in place)
If the breather tube is blocked or pinched, usually all the seals will leak

In my experience, oil in that cover normally it means the cam bearings are worn enough for the cam to be pulling down on oil seal allowing it to leak (which is really bad news.)
You can remove cam cover without pulling engine though so that's a plus on 360, and, as there is no gasket you don't have to worry about replacing that. (use a VERY thin layer of silicon on mating surface)
Remove cam cover, check rockers and bearings (if its bad you'll know, or, post pictures for us to look at)
do the rubber plug first
PJ

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, I am putting together a laundry list of items to order this weekend. Hooray for payday! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did your issue ever get resolved? I’m having the same issue. I have both plugs (#8) in the photo but they fit very loosely. I can see that the points cover puts pressure on them to keep them in but it doesn’t seem to be enough. My camshaft seal is good. Just getting oil from these plugs, out the breather holes, and all over my engine

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WHOAH this thread brings me way way back!

Yeah the issue got resolved. Once they were replaced, the oil leak there stopped, but eventually I found out that I had a leaking head gasket, which was resolved when I rebuilt the top end. Now that I took apart (most) of the bike and restored it, I should be in even better shape!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Spiro, I ended up just putting a bit of Ultra Black around the edges of them. Only rode once since then, been pretty rainy in Alaska lately, but no oil showing yet. Will check again in a few days when it’s not so wet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts