Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gentlemen.

Working on a CB360T. See picture.

The gearbox mainshaft holds the clutch system at one end.

I've got the bottom end all apart and the mainshaft bearings are properly located with the arc key for the big ball bearing at the clutch end and the dowel at the needle bearing end.

All components are on the mainshaft as per the HSM and none look worn at all. But the shaft has nearly 100 thou of axial play when properly situated in the cases. This seems excessive for proper clutch action

I find no axial play specifications in the HSM or elsewhere. What play do you advise?

I can make up a hard steel shim and reduce this play to a few thou, being a hobby machinist. Should I make up such a shim, it seems best to place it between the needle bearing and thrust washer as disengaging the clutch pulls the shaft to the clutch end and hence would not load the shim.

What do you gentlemen advise?

Thanks.....................................

Attachments

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I've not had a 360 bottom end apart before as I got out of the industry and began working on farm equipment in '76 (Harleys for the Tampa Police), so I'm curious - did you re-check the measurement with the clutch assembled on the mainshaft? I wonder if the movement is accounted for once all the components are on the shaft and the snap ring is in place

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks ancientdad. Good question.

There axial play is certainly in the shaft.

But, as you have anticipated, the clutch basket and the clutch hub have axial play on the mainshaft.

And it all adds up to a rather lot of "slop"

Attachments

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Well, remember the thinking was from 40+ years ago and like other technologies, look at how much it's changed in only the last 15 to 20 years - pretty incredible. I'm sure Honda had no idea these things would be around, much less so popular, this far into the future and just being involved with it is great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts