Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reposting this from an old discussion thread. Old switch was pretty beat up when I bought it but the previous owner had rigged a separate starter button to it which worked for a few months. Then my running light stopped working and when I tried to mess with it, got a short and decided it was time to replace it. After searching for a month or so, bought a stock replacement switch

So, I installed the new switch - took me 4 or 5 tries to get it through those stock handlebars!! Plugged in the corresponding color wires from the bike to the switch, turn the ignition to "on" and get nothing! Any thoughts? Battery charged - check; multi meter test of all wiring coming into headlight bucket - check. Original problem-the original switch was destroyed except for the starter. The starter button on the switch was busted but the PO was able to run a push button switch into the starter wiring to create a starter button. This worked for a few months after I bought the bike and then it started shorting out my tail light. That's when I decided to replace the entire switch. Am I missing a grounding wire somewhere? weird to go from power throughout bike to nothing. Not an electrical genius! Thanks for any suggestions! new switch looks good!

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Well I'm not sure what "NOTHING" means that covers a lot of ground.

If is just the Starter Motor that doesn't run when you press the switch - I would say YES you missed a ground.
The Horn in this case would also not work - it works off the same ground.

The Starter Switch is Simply a Ground to engage the Solenoid next to the battery.
The Handle bars not grounded by the simple fact they Clamps & Stud they connect to the Triple Tree with, are cushioned by Rubber Shock Mounts at the Triple Tree.

There should be a ground wire from the bottom of the Handle Bar Clamp Stud to the Bolt for either the Tach or Speedo for a ground path.

But if you are saying you get no Ignition current to the coils I would guess you have an issue with the Kill Switch.
Either it is not connected to complete the circuit inside the headlight or maybe you forgot to turn it to -ON-.

Use the wiring diagram to trace your circuits.

Auto part Vehicle Motorcycle accessories Engine Wheel

Plan Floor plan Text Diagram Technical drawing

You can RIGHT Click on the Wiring diagram and OPEN in a NEW TAB.
And/or Save-AS and have it printed in a large format 24 x 18 or more by an Office Supply Store like Staples.

Reactions: bilbikek411

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
One of the members suggested when running wires thru the handle bar to take a piece of string and blow it thru the bar with your air hose.Tie the wires to the string then pull them thru with the string. I tried it and it works great. Ditto on the ground.

Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Get nothing" mean no power to any lights - dash, headlight, taillight.

**There should be a ground wire from the bottom of the Handle Bar Clamp Stud to the Bolt for either the Tach or Speedo for a ground path.** I think this might be my problem. Where does this wire originate from? I'm 90% sure that I don't have this wire. I had to loosen the handlebars and manipulate them and do not remember seeing it. Something to check out tonight.

Thx gentleman!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry Yendor! I just reread your post. Wire goes from "bottom of the Handle Bar Clamp Stud to the Bolt for either the Tach or Speedo for a ground path" So this is short, maybe 2"-3", right? I'll take a look at it tonight.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
If you get no headlight and/or taillight then it is NOT the Ground Jumper.

Make sure you have the ignition key in the correct position.

It must be in the center position to get headlight.

Full Counter clockwise is - OFF-
Center is -RUN-
Full clockwise - PARK- taillight only.

I would work with the wiring diagram and check power with a test light.
Also double check your fuse didn't blow.
It will cause the symptom of No Power anywhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts