Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was suggested I start a project thread. So here goes. I am a long time car guy I restore classic muscle cars. I have a personal shop where my wife and I restore our cars and our place where we display our treasures from years past. It wouldn't be complete with out an old school Honda chopper that were plentiful in the day. I purchased this bike for 400.00. It is pretty much custom with the CB350 engine , custom frame (hard tail) extended forks , custom fenders and seat. The build will be hopefully if I can find the parts a springer front end , tall sissy bar , ape hanger handle bars etc. It was supposed to have ran but back fired a lot. The guy tore it down (top end) and then sold it to me. He said all parts are in the box (lol) and I bought it. All parts are not in the box. I am missing the small oval covers that fit on the sides , the cam tension adjuster , and the nuts and what ever that hold the rockers in place. I am sure I will be asking a lot of questions here from you who know these twins. I have never worked on one of these engines (only car engines).

·
Super Moderator
11,002 Posts
As Jim mentioned in your intro, use partzilla.com or Western Honda's parts section or cmsnl.com to find part numbers for the things you need and then search the internet for them. If you can't find something, check the part number at David Silver Spares as they don't show up in Google searches for some reason but they also have a lot of NOS Honda parts. If you are unsure of any potential purchase for any reason, don't hesitate to post a question about the part/price/seller here and we'll give you the best advice we know of. We like to get quality stuff for a good price as much as anyone :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the only thing on the bike that Honda is the engine. It has a custom hard tail frame and what looks like a Harley back tire a huge rear sprocket and chain. It has disk brakes front and rear. 16 inch tire and wheel on the front and 18 on the rear. It also appears the have extended front forks. No numbers on any of the parts but the engine. It is a mongreloide. lol My neighbor has a hog I told him this is a piglet.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I like it because its different. The 350 is one of the easiest motors to work on with lots of parts out there.. A lot of knowledge here. have fun.

Bill

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a spare 350 engine for parts. Direct Message me a list of what you need and I'll see if I still have them. You can have them for postage.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I like it because its different. The 350 is one of the easiest motors to work on with lots of parts out there.. A lot of knowledge here. have fun.

Bill
Yeah I like it too. Decent looking bike. Nice set of two-into-two parallel pipes down one side and I think that'd be a darn cool looking machine :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an update on the build. I have the engine back together and while waiting for missing parts I started my conversion to what I see as old school. I took off the drag bar handle bars and installed 12" ape hangers.

Modified my new seat to fit.

And to irritate the purists (probably on both sides) My custom decals.

Enter the Honda-Davidson PIGLET!
Now I need to figure out about a 36" sissy bar and how to mount it.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New foot pegs new sissy bar polished the side covers just polishing and cleaning while waiting for parts to see if it will run.

Of coarse the blue tape under to sissy bar will come off. Just waiting for some chrome button headed bolts to finish off attaching the sissy bar. But getting close to the look I am after.

·
Sensei
26,573 Posts
Bolting the sissy to the fender in that manner is not mechanically sound......Plus, a true "period look" sissy would run straight down to the axle adjustment plate and have an included formed strap brace that fits under the fender, thus becoming the fender bracing and allowing removal of those then redundant, (non-proportionally) skinny red braces...... JMHO

Also, my eyeball estimation of the toothing of the rear sprocket (about 50 to 52 teeth) and ASSUMING a 17 tooth countershaft sprocket indicates around a 2.94 final drive ratio (vs the original 2.250) , so while it possibly could be a "wheelie" or "tire burnout" bike, you would have to hold it at or above redline just to hit highway speeds (70+ MPH)......

I do like where you are going with this, so please consider my comments "constructive criticism" rather than derogatory remarks.....:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Noted. There are two steel brackets under the fender I drilled through. Also that Harley fender is mush heavier than the sissy bar. The sissy bar was bent at a 90 degree so just worked it to fit the fender. And it is just for looks as is the whole bike. I wouldn't ride that thing for anything. It don't even have a rear suspension. Just built for display purposes. But thanks for your input.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am not a motorcycle person. My dad was and had many in his life. He left me (when he passed) a Venture 1300. I rode it a couple times before a young girl backed out of a parking lot and hit it on the side. If it was not for the large protection bars it had (front and rear) I would have lost a leg. I repaired it and sold it. I consider them unsafe IMO. So (at 64 years old) this bike will never go down any road with me on it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Hey! Nice bike, chop/Bob builds usually turn my stomach, not yours! I can tell you have good taste (for a car guy)! ;)

Why not throw up a pic of your 4 wheeled pride and joy (I'm a car guy too)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you Pete89 for the complement. I have a few favorite cars. Kind of why I wanted to do something a bit different. I get kind of burnt out on building cars. I have been at it for 40 years. I will post up a couple that are my most favorite. My wife and I do everything ourselves from body , paint , interior , engines etc.
First a 1970 Superbird , Then a 71 Chevelle , a 1970 Mustang and my favorite a 68 Charger I am working on now.
We also have a 72 Charger a 73 Charger and a 69 GTO ram air III that need restored. (If I live long enough lol)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I better stop before I get into trouble this is a motorcycle place lol! And ride or not I like and appreciate older bikes custom or stock and in my day the Honda's ruled. And of all the sites I am a member of I think this is about the friendliest yet. And I have received a lot of advice and help.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts