Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1973 cb350 and looking to replace the original headlight with a brighter aftermarket one, perhaps even led. Has anyone had a luck finding one that fits right in the stock housing?

·
Registered
555 Posts
As far as I know, there's no direct swap in for the sealed beam bulb, unless you cut the glass and cement in an H4 assembly (which apparently isn't as tough as it sounds?). I took the alternate step of swapping out the whole bucket on my 360 (which as far as I know has the same 6 1/4" bucket as the 350).

I used the EMGO one listed for Hondas on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Emgo-Honda-Style-Headlight-Assembly/dp/B0068C0QJY) - it's about a quarter inch narrower than the stock bucket for the 360, so it can be helpful to add a washer or two to take up the slack if you're using the stock headlight bracket, but it's got a removable H4 halogen bulb. I swapped it out with an eBay special $15 H4 LED, and it's worked brilliantly; literally, the thing is incredibly bright and uses less juice than the OE sealed beam.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
624 Posts
Definitely go with an LED setup. Back in the day (1978 or so) when quartz halogen headlights came out, I popped one into the headlight bucket of my '75 CB400F. The improvement in night time visibility was incredible. And I quickly learned about the difference between voltage output from the alternator (sufficient), and current output (not enough to feed the headlight and keep the battery charged). LEDs have the wonderful advantage of high output with relatively miniscule current draw, something that was science fiction back when these bikes were built.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Have you used the Common Motor light? Was it an perfect swap?? Perhaps I will try that and get it with the LED.
That is what I am thinking, but 50 bucks more for the LED bulb, Yikes
Wonder how much in our Lowly Canadian dollar this translates into!

·
Registered
866 Posts
I just bought the CM bucket + halogen kit for my CB350. I will post some pictures when it arrives.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The eBay LEDs will do you just fine for $15 USD. I’ve been running mine for a couple years with no issues.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I did a (crappy) conversion.. cutting the bulb out of the back of my 450 bulb(low beam burned out).. hot glued a CHEAP E-bay LED.. it is "kinda" bright if u look at it head on.. as for "projecting" a beam or luminating the roadway.. I still haven't gotten a chance to get it out in the dark roads..
I was very fortunate a member sent me 2 replacement bulbs... when I did this swap, I realized (after) the headlamp I was doing the comparison with was a "newer" brighter bulb.. possibly adding to the voltage drop during idle.
LED is a very good replacement opposed to stock.., but what bulb? Ratings?ect?

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Sorry I' travel for work and can bee out for much of the week and back on weekends.

Yes I have the Common Motor Collective H-4 Headlight in (2) bikes.

It is a direct drop in fit "IF" you tell them up front you are putting it in a CB/CL 350.

They will ADD a TAB for the Adjusting screw otherwise you'll need to find someone who can do a quick weld on of a TAB.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts