Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, having a problem with gears . All gears work ok .except mostly but not always when I am shifting up it get stuck in neutral.and wont go into second gear . So I pull over without turning off bike I get a bit more forceful it goes into second gear and I take off in second .goes up into all other gears and back down to first without a problem.like I said it doesn't do it every time but 90% of the time . Appreciate any help . I should say that I have replaced the shifter and hook previously when the hook broke .. installed second hand shifter and it looked to have done a lot to miles . thanks Kanga

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It's possibly an issue with the detent mechanism on the shift drum. The detent roller shaft often wears and binds when upshifting. as I understand it, the part itself is no longer available but many have repaired the shaft for the roller. there are 2 detent arms but I believe #11 (below) is usually the culprit. Others here have been involved in that repair more often than I have and will likely weigh in

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb450k1-1968-usa_model449/partslist/E++14.html#results

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Definitely worth pulling the LH engine cover to check the mechanism. This can be done with the engine in situ. You will need to remove the downpipe and silencer along with the foot rest.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Tom and Nige I have a second engine which I have been using for parts . I have taken the roller out today and it seems to be in ok condition . when I get a chance I will check out the one in my bike. thanks for your help Kanga

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
How is your clutch adjustment? Not fully disengaging can cause hard shifting, especially during the 1-2 upshift. Worn detent and selector arm usually results in popping out of gear or false neutrals. When you were in the clutch adjuster, did you thoroughly clean and grease it? Do the simple stuff first.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks Jim yes I did replace clutch cable . bike isn't popping out of gear or false neutral . So I will go and have a good look . I now have the Honda shop manual was using the Clymer. thanks for the tip Jim I will have a go on the weekend and get back . as yet the bike isn't registered to legally ride on the road so I am only doing short trips . I have another question so will start another thread.. appreciate all the help .Kanga

1 - 6 of 6 Posts