Honda Twins banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stainless steel, front disk brake caliper piston for the following Honda models: Honda CB350-360-450-500 Twin and 350-400-500-550 Fours.

Part Number 45107-323-020 and i have six (6) left.

These pistons are machined to the same dimensions of the original Honda pistons (38mm X 34mm) and are manufactured using 304 stainless steel.

They will not corrode, unlike the original Honda ones which are hard chrome plated over mild steel, this plating brakes down over time and allows moisture to attack the mild steel and the resulted pitting is what causes leaks and poor brake response!!

If anybody would like one the cost including postage for the Honda Twins group is $60 US and that only covers postage and the cost to get them made.

If you require registered international mail the cost will be an extra $5.00US.

Rod from OZ :cool:

·
Registered
176 Posts
OK, this is going to sound really dumb. But my old piston came out and I didn't bother to look which way it was inserted- does that end with the slight bevel face inwards (inside the piston) or does it face the back of the brake pad? The manual's pictures are not easy to see.

Thanks for the quick shipping on the piston!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
slight bevel inwards

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks! That seems weird, because this custom piston has a significant difference on the opposite side- a deep cavity that now I presume faces the back of the brake pad.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bone said:
Thanks! That seems weird, because this custom piston has a significant difference on the opposite side- a deep cavity that now I presume faces the back of the brake pad.
Sorry mate i should have replied to this, you will need to remove the disc from the old piston and fit it to the new piston. Then center punch the lip to stop it from coming out. i found that if you ground the lip at the point where the mark is the disc just fell out.

You will see the old piston (on right) has marks around the lip that are made at the factory to hold the disc in place, you will need to replicate this.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Rod. maybe I'm missing it, but whats the price your selling the pistons at? i am in need of 2 and am thinking a trade is in order! danWI

EDIT! i see the price.... $60 each. lets talk engine cases and crank then :D

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
danWI said:
Rod. maybe I'm missing it, but whats the price your selling the pistons at? i am in need of 2 and am thinking a trade is in order! danWI

EDIT! i see the price.... $60 each. lets talk engine cases and crank then :D
A trade did someone say trade :lol: I'm in :!: I'll PM you.

Rod from OZ

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gents i have a few of these left. I you need one (or one hundred) just PM me. :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
i have a few of these and they're good looking pieces... regret to say, i havent installed yet, so i cannot comment on fit. does make me think tho, where does my TIME get off to? anyone have some time to lend out? LOL

·
Registered
176 Posts
otr002 said:
Bone said:
Sorry mate i should have replied to this, you will need to remove the disc from the old piston and fit it to the new piston. Then center punch the lip to stop it from coming out. i found that if you ground the lip at the point where the mark is the disc just fell out.

You will see the old piston (on right) has marks around the lip that are made at the factory to hold the disc in place, you will need to replicate this.

Crap- I wish I would have known this. I tossed the old piston as garbage.

Anybody have an old piston (or just the disc part) for cheep?

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Eric....I'll look...But no promises about speed....The yard is two feet deep in snow right now....

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bone said:
Eric i have a spare disc i can send you for the cost of postage :) Oz postage for small stuff is still OK, it's the large packages that are over the top :(

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ol55 said:
just wondering...Is the disc really necessary?

Larry
Generally there is a small plastic ring that fits between the piston and the pad. Although many run without the ring so in that case the disc may help to even the load on the pad.
So thinking about as i typed there may be argument for both, as the disc does not add height to the piston, if removed the piston will still travel the same distance and not expose the seal.....but the plastic ring won't fit :|

·
Registered
176 Posts
otr002 said:
Bone said:
Eric i have a spare disc i can send you for the cost of postage :) Oz postage for small stuff is still OK, it's the large packages that are over the top :(
Thanks man. I'll PM ya.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'd like to buy one but how do I pay ya? :?:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts