Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking for some fixing the paint work on the fuel tank.
Does someone know what is the color code for Honda red, Candy Red? in 1972?

Cheers Reima

Attachments

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I tried a couple of custom paint shops, ordered 'candy ruby red' from one and it never arrived :(

Tried a touch up pot... rubbish.

I ended up picking a close metallic standard colour and painted all my parts other than the tank.
I suspect like you, I'm reluctant to paint over my quite good 40yr old paint, but I may have to take the plunge this fall.

CD175 cafe racer - my first 4 stroke!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...et/forums/showthread.php?t=41695&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I've been disecting the 72 candy bachaus olive for a couple of months (been busy)....
It appears as though Honda went a LITTLE candy crazy during the early 70s. I'm not even sure if the (Do-Do) brown is a single stage... needless to say, if you want to get close, your gonna have to do a little "detective" work. FIRST, if this is a candy paint, bad news, touch up is out of the question.. 1, the paint is almost non existent, 2, unless it has been out of the UV RAYS... it's lost pigment and is partially faded... you may be able to match the color, but the oxidation pigment percentage..no.
I made plenty inquiries, it is a small niche market... yes some people do "match" the colors, they keep these secrets very close to the vest... it their livelihood, and I'm sure it has taken a lot of work to discover these formulas..
Yes, they will do it for you .. but it will also cost a pretty penny..
Get some 1500 wet sandpaper.. lightly sand some of the top "candy" red.. spread it on a piece of white paper let it dry.. you now have a slight/close sample of the top coat "candy"...you can either look at a chip book, or have it matched...
the next step is the underlying base pigment.
This is gonna be a little harder, especially if it has matalics...I used "cotton tipped swabs", and laquor thinner to lightly remove the top candy layer... the base color may not be exact.. but it will give you a place to start.
Also, if you can, keep one side of the tank untouched... this will be your reference to match your mixed pigments to.. once you are happy.. take lots of notes.. and strip all the old liquor paint, as the new stuff doesn't like it..

Good luck

I would suggest reading the thread I started, it HAD pics.. (still looking at getting that sorted out)... it's got a lot more info

·
Registered
193 Posts
On the CB 360 I restored, I looked through dozens of paint chip books and picked out a Subaru color from the 80's that was a dead on match (to my eye) to Candy Riviera Blue Metallic. Any good paint supply store will have the paint chip books and many painters have color mixing capabilities that allow them to mix, test and adjust the color. Fact is that you won't really know if the color is a perfect match to OEM because there are no factory fresh paint jobs to compare the final results to. In fact, I have purchased NOS painted parts that were never been exposed to sunlight and they do not even match each other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts