Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Honda twins, I'm recently new to this site so any feedback will be helpful, I'm a new motorcycle owner and I picked up a 1975 Honda cb360t a few months back, i got er running but I'm noticing a ticking noise that seems to be coming from the points cover, (well behind it) and also I'm noticing that the left muffler isn't very hot, I can grasp it for a few seconds while the right side I can barely touch. I pulled the spark plugs which are only about a month and a half old and they were super black which would mean it's running to rich I think? I turned the air bleed screws in a little further to run more lean but that didn't seem to help any. Again any tips or tricks and feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
No heat on one side means no fire on that side, so lack of fuel, lack of spark/spark at correct time, lack of compression.

Does the cold side fire when the engine is reved up? Are the carbs correctly synced? Messing withe pilot screws only adjusts mixture at idle, which should account for about 10% of the bikes running time.

You have aftermarket mufflers, what adjustments to the carbs have been done to compensate for them? Maybe over-jetted too much?

How clean are your air filters? Can you see the sun through them very well? Clogged air filters will cause rich running problems.

Ticking, are the valves adjusted correctly?

Do you have a copy of the shop manual? Not Clymer, a Honda SM. If so there is a section right towards the beginning for tuning up and adjusting your bike, I suggest you run though it and do as much as you can.

Link to said manual if you don't. http://198.57.59.10/manuals/360/Honda_CB250_CB360_CL360_CJ250T_CJ360T_Shop_Manual.pdf

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cold side does fire when the engine is revved up, and I did tune the carbs in for the mufflers, I'm getting very weak spark from my points and I have a set on the way, I'm hoping that's most of my problem, the valves are adjusted correctly but I can always run through and check them again. My air filters are not the cleanest, is there a good place to get stock air filters?

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Common motor collective had replacements for the OLD style filters, check yours against their pictures. They are $$ though.

Lots of us have gone to just rehabbing the filters ourselves with washable UNI foam inserts. You gut the old filter material and replace with the foam.

How much did you up jet the mains? I would figure it would need no more than one or 2 over. That side not firing can point to a clogged pilot circuit in the carb. Or or unsycned carbs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay gotcha, and yeah I looked them up on common motor they are pricey, is there a special kind of foam to use for the filters? And I put them 1 turn over but I might take it to 2 or 1 1/2, I was thinking I had a clogged pilot because I had ran through my carbs a lot in just a few weeks so I will check that and make another turn over to her the mains

·
Registered
539 Posts
How much did you up jet the mains? I would figure it would need no more than one or 2 over. That side not firing can point to a clogged pilot circuit in the carb. Or or unsycned carbs.
I'd check the un-synced carbs. Only cuz that's a problem I had with mine when I bought it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll have to go through them again, I'm 99% sure there good and synced, I took my points cover off and started her up lastnight and it had very week spark, I'm thinking that is my issue, new points and condenser coming in Thursday so we will see!

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Should have very little spark at the points, the condensers are supposed to absorb the left over shock of the points opening and closing. Lots of spark means condencer might be bad or not hooked up or grounded correctly, new points and condenser may help.

It think my pilots are out about 2 ish each side.

I used just bulk UNI foam like this New Uni Bulk Air Filter Foam 12" x 16" x 5 8" Motorcycles ATV Go Carts BF1 | eBay

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
okay awesome! Thanks you im glad the new points will be somewhat of a help, considering there already on the way here:p and when you say 2 ish, you mean just 2 turns out? or what do you exactly mean by that? sorry newbie here when it comes to toying with motorcycle carbs. and great! i think ill switch out my air filters with the link you provided.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So new points were put on today, but still having the same problem, I'm thinking it needs a valve tappet adjustment but I'm not to sure on how to go about doing this, new to motorcycles, if anyone could "dumb it down" for me I would appreciate it very much, thank you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts