Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used zip ties to compress piston rings?
Or does anyone have any idea on how to compress rings without a ring compressor.
There isn't anywhere around here where I can go and buy the tool and shipping charges
kind of put me off.
I have five bikes in various stages and my wife is getting sick of my purchases so I am looking to
do it on the cheap.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I think using zip ties would be more of a problem than it's worth? A plastic (shampoo,soda,etc) bottle might help you a bit. A lot of people just use their fingers and do the rings one at a time, very carefully. Have you done a search here to see what others have done? It's been documented and done successfully here before..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
A lot of people just use their fingers and do the rings one at a time, very carefully.
I just use chopsticks - free, and I love chineeze food, so.........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tbpmusic said:
Bird76Mojo said:
A lot of people just use their fingers and do the rings one at a time, very carefully.
I just use chopsticks - free, and I love chineeze food, so.........

Me TOO! I like the cheap Chinese food, buffet style

·
Registered
439 Posts
I also use my fingers and maybe a screwdriver flat to set rings in the bore... tho i am intrigued by the "plastic bottle" idea. maybe a pop bottle is the right dia for cb350 rings? what kinda plastic rounds are ya'll using? danWI

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
It doesn't have to be the exact same diameter. You can slice it top to bottom to help make it the proper size. Although finding one the exact diameter you need would be awesome..

Two slices of PVC pipe would likely work as well. You know, two pieces that make one when you put them on either side of the piston....

Using your imagination will get you far in this dept. ;)

GB :mrgreen:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.