Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really love this sight. I have spent hours reading through a lot of the different topics and gained a ton of knowledge. With that being said I have work for a week or so on my '75' cl360 with no real success. It has a misfire at higher rmp but it is worse in 6th gear. I putt a new battery in it this spring after fining that my new sealed battery had to holes worn into the 2 outside chambers. The new battery seemed to help. It ran like champ through all the gears. But about 3mi into my first ride with it this spring. I stared to get the misfire. I went back to battery and the volts were fine 12.8 with the bike off. Then I started up the bike and it went to 13v at the battery. As the rev went up so did the volts 16+. I have ordered a new regulator, I just didn't know if high volts would cause a misfire. I know it could mess up the batt or other electrical stuff if not fixed. My question is should I be looking at something else will I wait for the regulator? I have done what everyone said to do in the other topics checked timing, changed plugs, cleaned carbs (and cleaned the way that you all have discussed), new fuel filters, cleaned petcock, checked valve clearance, and looked for leaks in the intake and exhaust. The only thing that I am not sure of is my floats being set right on my carbs. They do not leak out of the overflow, but I guess there my be a chance that they are set to low and I am not getting enough gas. I am hoping that a regulator will fix it. Thanks for your input.

Ben

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
It may be possible that the excess voltage has cooked your new battery.
Check it after you do the new regulator.....
Also make sure the spark advancer is working ok - check timing with a strobe, after static-timing it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill. I think I will check the timing tonight. I am assuming that there are timing marks for the advanced timing. I do not have a tack on the bike. How critical is the rpm when I am looking at the timing?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
It will be fully advanced by 4,000 rpm.
There are two marks for the advanced position - anywhere between those two marks is fine.

Find the link to the Manual here and download it.....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found it in my manual, thanks.
I found something odd however. The intake valve is open as the piston, on the left side, is coming up. How would I have jacked that up when putting the motor back together. And how would it even run. The right side seems to be fine. The top of the piston on the left is black with carbon, the on on the right is still shinny. Looks like I am pulling things a part.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't believe that I would have pur the rocker arms in wrong, but that is the only that one side could be right and on side be wrong. First time for everything I guess. Stupid

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I rotated my cam 90*. I put the rocker cover back on it and rotated the engine with a wrench. I could see the valves open a close and it looks like that could have been my problem. :oops: I hope this takes care of it. My reg should be here on Saturday, I hope.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Why didn't you just re-time the camshaft according to specs at the index?......Why 90* off where it was?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ment to say 180*. I had to pull the cam sprocket to rotate the cam. I am usually pretty good at going off of specs or following a manual. I am going to finish putting it together. It should make some differents.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the bike all put back together. Checked the mail and there was the reg. So I put it on and went for a short ride. There was a slight hesitation during accel. But besides that it ran great and fast! I am pumped. The regulator fixed my voltage problem. The battery was 12.7v cold this morning. 13.4v at idle and 14.2v at WOT. I am still not sure how or why the cam was off 180* but it was. The intake valve was open the entire time that the piston was coming up and the exhaust valve was open the entire time the piston was going down. But it is fixed now. I have 2 cb350 just waiting to be torn apart and built. This gets me in the mood. I was needing a victory in life. :p

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It has been raining here in all week. Thank God for a sunny Saturday! So I took the cafe 360 for a 120mi ride along the Iowa river. It is a nice country ride with not much traffic, and fairly scenic. The bike had no problems at all. I am impressed with these little bike. The run good and plenty fast for their size.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Mat. I love riding. I am also finding that I love these vintage hondas. I have been tempted to move up to a 750 but there is just something really fun about these little bikes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts