Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running through much more gas than I think would be normal. I just readjusted the float levels on my carbs, but am still getting some gas in my crankcase. Not sure if this is due to the float levels or worn needles. I can't detect any visible wear. I also have a small hole in my exhaust pipe and was wondering if that would be related to high fuel consumption. I'm running k&n air filters as opposed to the stock. New petcock is not leaking gas.
I've done a good deal of work on this bike since the spring bringing it out of a 30+ year dormant state. Timing, new switches, new clutch, etc..
Basically I'm convinced it's the carbs, but don't know what I can do aside from adjusting float levels.
Any help?
thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm no CB450 "expert" but I've worked on a lot of bikes.

If you are turning off the gas when it's parked & getting fuel in the crankcase while it's running the carbs are flooding.
My suggestion is pull the carbs off of the bike & 1 at a time hook them to a fuel source & see if they are running fuel throgh when the bowl is full.
If they are remove the fuel bowl & check the needle & seat.
If nothing is wrong there should be a "tang" you can bend to adjust the float level.
Bend it until the carb quit flooding when they are reasonably level.
If you can't get the flooding to stop either the needle or seat is damaged.
Don't forget to drain the oil & fill with fresh to get the oil with gas out of the crankcase.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts