Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Alvaro and I live in Harlem, NYC for 7 years after living in South Florida for 15 years. I'm originally from Argentina and now work as an architect in NYC.

I just picked up a 1975 Honda CB200T last Sunday after years of itching to get my first motorcycle. After much deliberating on size, year, and style, I finally pulled the trigger on the the CB200T after taking a bad shot at a pretty rough '72 CB750 that I impulsed bought last year after seeing it in my neighborhood for sale. I finally sold it last week and was able to pick up the CB200T. I was totally enamored with the CB750 but after sitting on it and getting the feel, I realized my mistake. It is too big and heavy for my size and went against the point of getting a smaller bike to zip around in the city as well as being to powerful for a beginner in my eyes. I was also looking for a bike with minimal work to be done as living in the city means the street/sidewalk will be my garage and the kitchen table in my studio apartment my workbench. :lol:

The CB200T is in pretty good shape.. pretty much stock with some patina in the usual places. I got it in Long Island and the previous owner did some work on it but is moving cross country and so he decided to offload it. He put new fuel lines, carburetors(need to be tuned), battery, and some other minor stuff. Now the catch was that the kickstarter is stripped and the starter switch button is missing, so I didn't get to start it. He did say it does run. I know those are some pretty big red flags but I'm optimistic it'll run.:oops:

I look forward to joining the community here as I've been visiting the site for a while now and hope to contribute in the future.

Thanks for having me.

Cheers,

Alvaro

IMG_20180415_140127.jpg

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Welcome, nice bike

·
Registered
725 Posts
Welcome, that's a good looking bike. It will be much nicer for beetling around the city than a 750-4, easier to get in and out of anywhere. I'd keep the upright riding position so you can see what the traffic is doing ahead.

For future reference, if the PO said it would run you should have bump started it. Something that can't be started is bought as non running. The good thing about a small bike; if it is well tuned you don't need no stinkin' starter, just a little push, hop on and dump the clutch.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Welcome, and nice bike! Perhaps this link may be of some assistance to you in addressing your starter button issue. Kibokojoe - Kibokojoe's Yamaha XS650 I have been a customer for years, and his metal buttons are top notch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome aboard. Must be interesting using the sidewalk as a shop, can't say I've done that other than emergency type repairs.
This thread will help you get started checking things out http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/67...n/16105-basic-checklist-new-you-old-bike.html
You'll want the FSM, factory service manual, PM sent

Yes, the sidewalk will be interesting.. I happen to live in a quieter, low traffic street and see people working on their cars and some bikes occasionally. Already working on a tool/rolling stool caddy to make it more comfortable working and transporting tools from the apartment.

Thanks for the info and for the files link.. was able to download some files I didn't have.

Cheers,

Alvaro

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome, that's a good looking bike. It will be much nicer for beetling around the city than a 750-4, easier to get in and out of anywhere. I'd keep the upright riding position so you can see what the traffic is doing ahead.

For future reference, if the PO said it would run you should have bump started it. Something that can't be started is bought as non running. The good thing about a small bike; if it is well tuned you don't need no stinkin' starter, just a little push, hop on and dump the clutch.

Yes, in retrospect, I should taken then time to give it a go. I had a small timeframe to pick it up and rushed it.? I hope to get it started this weekend if all goes well.

Alvaro

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome, and nice bike! Perhaps this link may be of some assistance to you in addressing your starter button issue. Kibokojoe - Kibokojoe's Yamaha XS650 I have been a customer for years, and his metal buttons are top notch.

Thanks for the link, they look great! Unfortunately I had hoped that the only thing missing was the button, but I'm also missing the plastic casing where the button makes contact with some other small metal pieces.. not sure what this is called. I did see someone on youtube make a 3d printed part for the plastic and sell it for $10 but not sure where to get the rest of the small metal pieces. Any ideas?

Alvaro

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome Alvaro! Looks like you have a nice bike there. Wonder if you can just track down the 2 wires that touch when pressing the start button? If you just manually touch these wires you might be able to induce the motorcycle into starting!
Yes, I'm hoping to try that this weekend to check the starter works at all. I was just looking to see if anyone had replaced just this snall assembly parts since the solution seems to be to buy the whole switch assembly and just take the parts you need or just replace the replace the whole thing. Thanks for the input!

Alvaro

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you look up what you need on a parts fiche you will be able to come up with a proper name and a part number. I also find it handy when trying to figure out if you have all the bits and pieces required to assemble a section or system on the bike.
https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb200t-1975-usa_model426/partslist/?model_q=cb200t
Thanks for the link, Brent. I've been on the CMSNL website plenty but unfortunately for tye switch assemblys(both left and right), the most they break it down is to the whole switch assemblys themselves as far as I can see and haven't yet seen any further breakdown on pieces and part numbers for the interior components.

Anyway, if it helps for anyones reference, the pic below shows what I'm talking about. The piece with the blue and yellow wires sits in the plastic housing along with the other metal pieces that the button pushes to make contact.

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
Nice bike. I would love to have a 200t some time. They are like a mini 400f. There was one way back asking $700 that I wish I'd bought now. Yours looks nice. Good luck working on the sidewalk! Maybe you can get one of those gardening stools that is also a cart and storage container.

It looks like you are missing just the starter button. However it will probably be best to jsut buy the whole control as it will only be like $20 on 4into1.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts