Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome aboard Brendan! We're glad to have ya.. :D

That bike will b the first of its kind discussed in detail here..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
That bike will b the first of its kind discussed in detail here..

Thats 2 new aussie members with 2 fresh models to hondatwins.....I likey... :D

Score:
USA.........16
Australia...2

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome abroad Brendan, make sure ya tell ya mates... :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
burke7391 said:
The 250 will be my workaday hack now that I've done it up. I'll keep making continuous improvements to it as I ride. Next thing will be a new exhaust system from David Silvers in UK, as you probably know spares like this are almost non existant or highly overpriced in AUS. The plan then will be to put the original system on my spare bike which has a homemade siamesed pipe full of holes. Once that and a few other jobs are done the spare bike will be up for sale. Its a little too good to be using as a spares bike (like I'm using it for know), it was only just out of rego and had been resprayed when I bought it. Anyone seen a 125 like mine before? Looks like they only made 'em for a year.

Welcome Brendan to the mad house! very nice 250, you'll find that we (Australia) have several variations of the Honda Twins that were unique to Aust/Asia and sometimes the UK. Anyway, as for parts, before going off and spending $$ post the part numbers on the forum first, you'll be surprised of what is avalable locally ;)

Rod from QLD

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Welcome aboard. Nice pair of bikes, I'll look forward to seeing more of them.

Also, thanks for helping to lower tha average age of this group. Things been gettin a little crusty round here! :D

·
Registered
439 Posts
honda made a cb125 TWIN? i knew about the 160 and the 305 but.... didnt know there was a 125 TOO!
welcome abourd and keep us informed about your bikes
danWI

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Just for danWI.....

The 1959 thru 64 Benly SS.... 125cc...Was available in US, but very rare.... :D :D :D :D
(picture "borrowed" from VJMOG)........... Steve

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes a true classic, I had one back in '67

About 8 years ago I met the person I had sold it too in about '68, he told me he had only sold it a few months previously for a very low price, I was devastated :(

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Brendan,
As you may be aware by now, the Model you have was indeed available in the US from '68 through '70...... Most Americans grew up with a "bigger is better" attitude, so the only slightly more expensive 175 versions were much more popular here......
personally, I like the 125's equally well, and can't wait to see your progress.....
:D Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
First of all, hey to everyone.

This is my first post on this forum, and I am very much a noobie to Honda twins. Sorry about the long winded entry to follow. It is both introduction and specific question, Burke

I'm a Norwegian living in Australia, and used to ride Ducatis. Family situation, under-use and an increasing interest in the mechanics and workings of motorbikes made me sell the Duke and half-heartedly start looking for a project bike with cheaper parts than the 748.

I just bought a 1980 CB 250T this weekend. It was a spontaneous buy of a bike that was sitting on the side of the road. I thought it would make a nice and cheap start for a (wait for it..) cafe racer. IT starts easily, looks average in finish and has some rust to exhaust.

I've slowly come to realise that the 250T is not really that common, at least in Australia, and am slightly stressed out about how difficult it might be to get spares for it.

So, hoping for some advice from you, Burke. Specifically I'm wondering:
- Are the 250N parts easily used? My first concerns are replacing the exhaust downpipes, that are rusted through, and the right side foot controlers and peg, that are slightly bent.
- Any idea of suitable engines for cc upgrades? I imagine the 400T would be a shoe-in, but again they don't seem all that common downunder.
- Any sources to recommend in Oz for new replacement parts if needed?

Hope you can give me some pointers! Your 250T looks very smooth!

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Burke
I live in Newcastle normally, but in Taree for a few months for work. The bike is in Taree, my tools in Newcastle.... itchy fingers. I'll try and get some pictures posted when I get a chance. I'd love to stop by in Cessnock and check out your bike at some point.

I've started hunting for the minimum requirement parts to make it "whole". Good to know the N models should be compatible. If I can get some new downpipes (mine are more rust than anything) and right foot peg and pedal I'll be close to getting it approved I think.

I'm not sure whether to try and get it registered straight away, though, or take it a bit more apart and experiment before I start paying for and organising plates. My idea of what I want to achieve is pretty set, and if I get halfway and realise that the 250T can't get me there I might struggle to finish...

On that note one thing I wanted to ask: I'm pretty keen on ripping off the airbox to get that lighter, "see through" frame that is so kool. I've seen some comments on other bikes that it will seriously affect performance. Any thoughts? Any remedies? And if doable, how do I pick the right K&N filter. Or do I need one at all?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'll post a project thread as soon as I get to spend some more consistent time with the bike. The only work being done at the moment is online research for info, basic techniques and parts sources.

Cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts