Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi, my name is peter and i have the remains of a superdream and a seriously rusty cb500-4 motor. the plan is to fit the 500-4 motor in the superdream frame using new downtubes as a cradle rather than hang the engine in the current frame. i'm lining everything up at the mo and it looks like it could work. why am i doing this? because the superdream and the cb motor has only cost me £120 so far and it would be a little different to the current UK trend of brat/bobber hipster thing. my question is: has anyone on here strengthened the swingarm or replaced it with something stronger? i want to stick with the current twinshock set up. thanks. (i've just had a quick look at the gallery and i'm guessing you didnt get the superdream over there. it's the same as james adams cb400n restoration in the projects section) it's a euro stylie thing which sold by the bucketload in the UK

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
We really gotta see pictures of this!:p

Welcome to the group.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not much in the way of pictures at the moment as i'm also knee deep in two cb750 restos. the 500 project is just something i'm playing with in my shed at the school where i work. the engine is really rusty and will take a lot of work to strip, but i'm optimistic.

this was taken earlier to see roughly where it would sit. i need to put the original bottom end in next so i can establish the exact location of the front sprocket.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Wales? Initials P.J.? Are we sure ole CrazyPJ hasn’t gone anon here? :D

More seriously, welcome! This’ll be cool to watch.

·
Premium Member
3,047 Posts
Will the exhaust pipes clear the front wheel ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not sure yet. i have to cut away a lot of the frame backbone to make room for the back of the motor. in the pic, the engine is way too far forward and not even upright. the next stage is to mark exactly where the 250 sprocket sits, and move the 500 motor back till its sprocket sits in the same place. that will determine whether this project will fly or not. if it does fit, i will make temporary brackets to hold everything in place then fit front and rear end to check clearance.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I admire your enthusiasm! It's hard enough stripping a CB400N, restoring the bits and putting it all back together correctly. As for shoehorning a CB500/4 engine into a Superdream chassis, well, good luck with that matey!

Wish I had that chain hoist though it would save me a lot of grief. Mind you, if I did have one I'd probably pull the garage roof in on top of me it doesn't look that robust!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
i'm guessing you didnt get the superdream over there. it's the same as james adams cb400n restoration in the projects section) it's a euro stylie thing which sold by the bucketload in the UK
They did matey but it was called the Honda CB400T Hawk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ah thanks. i was wondering if they were available over there. the chain hoist is one of the best things i've ever bought. around £50 on ebay. it's especially useful when removing/refitting the frames on my two 750-4 engines with the engine on it's side. as far as the shoehorning is concerned, it's not looking too promising as the engine is a lot longer and therefore quite close to the forks. i'll keep posting updates though

1 - 10 of 10 Posts