Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I've been lurking for a while, but signed up today.

About to start work on this:

Planning to strip it competely including some engine work (needs rings and starter clutch sorting for a start)
Then I'll be replacing pretty much every bolt, cable, bearing, seal etc and repainting in the hopes of
basically making a "CL"500T (any ideas on whether CL450 pipes will physically fit? - making brackets is not a problem)
Unfortunately over here we basically didn't get the CL range so not so easy for me to just borrow some and try, or measure someone elses.

May all sound a bit ambitious but I've had a practice run doing this mild cafe:

(Also a Honda Twin you'll notice) :)
I've established the fact that:
Paintings not for me, Frame, brackets, sidestands etc are fine, "proper" painting eg. petrol tanks is not my forte
I can polish! but it bores me
carb stripping is easier than it sounds
Kitchen accessories can, and should, be used as replacement parts.
I basically enjoyed the whole project, but ask me about any single part of it and I'll tell you how much hassle it was
and how much I hated that particular part.

Some indication of the amount of work needed:

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Looks like you've got a bit more to work with on this project.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi Wedge and welcome from another UK based member. I see you are from Wisbech, I am in the Midlands not too far away.
Interesting CX you have there. I'm also a fan of the CL look possibly 'Forbidden Fruit' that attracts us over here. I have links with the US where I have my CL175, been looking for a CB/CL450 over their for quite a while now. Hope you have luck with getting/fitting CL pipes to you 500T.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems I can get them easy enough, from the US, in varying conditions. Pricey epecially with postage and the way the exchange rate is but then having a system custom made is pricey too. Problem is then whether they fit, I think Bill said they'll fit model to model i.e. CL to CB and vice versa, but whether they'll fit a different engine size I don't know. Though as I understand the 450 and 500 are basically the same engine.

Thanks for the welcome guys, and Wisbech is East Anglia, just to the right of where malcolmgb lives :)

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Wedge... It will fit the engine, ...perfectly....
There are some frame (shape) differences that would be the worry....But I should think these are minor obstacles....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts