Honda Twins banner

Hi from the new guy!

630 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Rob Axel 
#1 ·
Hi there!

I'm Jeff and posting from Halifax, in Nova Scotia.

Been on bikes since a tender young age, starting with a little Z50 I found in the garbage and rode for the rest of the summer - without brakes, foot pegs or kick starter. After that first summer, my dad helped me to find parts for it and I have continued to tinker on bikes ever since. With proper manuals and specs, I can do just about anything a bike needs, except bodywork and paint. I suck at that.

Anyhow, I always had an eye for 70's CB's and was stalking one for several years but the owner refused to sell. I eventually came across a '75 500T which was in decent enough shape for these parts and bought it. Engine started first kick (starter is seized), very little rust and near-perfect chrome. Gas tank looks pretty ratty on the outside but the inside is surprisingly good.

Anyhow, it's now taken apart in the basement, the new parts required are in, and I'm almost getting ready to start the rebuild. Intent is to bring it back clean, but as original as I can. At this point, I'm not considering paint with the exception of a few spots on the frame to stop corrosion. I intend to just wax in order to keep the rest in good shape but if anyone has suggestions on how to better preserve, I'd be happy to hear! Same for stripping the paint applied on the rims and hubs by previous owner...

Other rides are my old '88 GSX600 (original owner), '05 Ural, '08 CRF230L and the '75 500T aka Basement Queen.

Thank you for posting your experiences and info. As with the Ural forums, it is a fun part of riding these bikes and the best source of info to keep these beasts alive!

Jeff

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

See less See more
#4 ·
Welcome to this amazing forum fellow Canuck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.