Honda Twins banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After not having a bike for 12 years, couldn't resist a 1981 CM400E on ebay. Rides well locally, bought the Clymer and Shop manuals on ebay too, replaced a few parts here and there, waiting on a new headlight bulb, then maybe get it checked over professionally to make sure it won't fly apart at more than 40 mph. Strange that front brake shoe arrow is fine, but rear brake shoe marker is so far to the left of the arrow that I wonder if maybe it just wasn't set right when it was installed. Then again, maybe it hasn't been changed in 38 years.

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
We recommend you replace both wheels' brakes regardless of shoe thickness......
Old shoes tend to delaminate at the most inopportune times.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. As I'm bringing the bike to a local mechanic for a tune up and once over, is it usually better to buy the drums myself and give them to him to put on, or just bring the bike in and let him get the parts.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You'll need to post pics otherwise those who must not be named will make demands:eek::D
You'll need a proper Factory Service Manual - much superior to the Clymer. PM sent.

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1981 Honda CM400E 11,400 miles

Attachments

Reactions: Marcus17

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for the pics, that's a beautiful bike. It makes me want to ride. Alas, today I work - tonight I repair. No mileage for me.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Nice bike! Why they all come with the crash bar? Maybe you can lean them so much so you won't scrape the engine......?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reactions: Alexd

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome to the forum! Nice bike! Why they all come with the crash bar? Maybe you can lean them so much so you won't scrape the engine......?
Maybe it's good the last 3 owners had a crash bar.?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum, nice 400!
Thanks, funny thing is I went on ebay looking for a 1998 Triumph Thunderbird like I had 12 yrs ago, but each time I was about to buy a 2000 Thunderbird that was posted I remembered how top heavy it was, then the CM400 kind of reminded me of it, so I bought it instead.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the pics, that's a beautiful bike. It makes me want to ride. Alas, today I work - tonight I repair. No mileage for me.
Makes me want to ride too, but the headlight blew when I rode on Sunday so waiting for a new one

1 - 17 of 17 Posts