Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have owned two... well, actually three Honda twin motorcycles. First was a 1978 CM185T twinstar, I recently picked up a 2004 Nighthawk CB250 ex MSF bike, and I have a 2017 NC700X. I have added a centerstand and a tachometer to the CB250.

I plan on installing new clutch plates on the CB250 as it was an ex MSF bike and has a worn clutch.

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Welcome. Which part of MD are you from? I'm near Baltimore and I also recently picked up a Nighthawk 250, ex-MSF bike... I'd love to add a tachometer to mine too, how did you do it?

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I've got 2 former msf bikes in my project queue and one that wasn't a school bike on the work table now.
Welcome!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I am on the Eastern Shore close to OC.

I bought a tachometer off of ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Night-Ligh...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I mounted it with a piece of perforated steel that i bolted to the bottom of the instrument pods. It does not come with installation instructions but I have the factory shop manual and tapped the signal wire into some of the CDI boxes.

I have also installed two new tires and it passed MD inspection with flying colors. The brakes have pletny of material. All in all this bike is in worlds better condition than my twinstar I bought years ago for my wife to ride.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Cool, thanks! I'm going to give it a try... is it accurate?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, thanks! I'm going to give it a try... is it accurate?
It seems to correspond with the shift points on the speedometer. The tach is electric stepper motor driven and is not super fast. it is better than nothing and it matched the exisiting gauge cluster.

·
Registered
504 Posts
What is on the speedometer that seems to be shifting points make no sense and does not match what is in the owner's manual. If I followed them I'd seriously over-rev the engine, it's bizarre... :-S

1 - 8 of 8 Posts