Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all,

Been reading heaps on this website and getting accustomed to the Honda twin. About 2 months ago I bought a non running 1976 CJ250T. I had learned that the CJ was the follow up to the CB and didn't have the starter motor or an extra gear. For all intents and purposes it looked like a really good bike and I have the plan to cafe it a little and still keep the charm of the Honda set up.
I already have a 1981 Suzuki GSX250 twin which I have cafe'd and wanted another project to work on. It was really quick to strip down and in about one day I had the bike completely apart and the engine sitting on my work bench just looking at me. The frame needed some work, like getting rid of a few tabs and modifications that the PO had welded on. So far I haven't done too much to the bike and it is all in bits.
A couple of weeks ago I decided that I would just do a top end rebuild and ordered a gasket kit. While waiting I began to strip the engine down. I soon found that the cam chain tensioner slipper and guide were completely destroyed. Having read a few of the forum stories apparently this is a common trend. Well the chain guide was actually missing a piece on the bottom. Lord knows where that might be!
So I am on the hunt for replacement ones of each of them. I bought a second hand slipper with a reasonable amount of meat on them, so it might last a while, the guide on the other hand is toast.
Anyway further into the clean up of the engine, I thought I had everything pretty well covered and begun to clean and polish the side covers and head cover etc. Look pretty good too! I begun to put the engine back together when I noticed that the tensioner arm was missing the round part where the small rod goes through! The arm can completely move around underneath the crankshaft!!!!!
So now it looks like I have to split the case, not what I was looking forward to. I can also see right down into the sump that there is a heap of metal filings down there. I also pulled the centrifugal pump apart and there was a stack of congealed oil and metal filings in it!
I've ordered the special spanner to remove the nut holding the pump on as my special skill of hitting something with a hammer isn't that good.
Anyway I thought it was time to post and make myself known. I understand that there are not a lot of CJ's left in Australia, however some components from CB & CL models can be used. I will post a build thread later once I've got a bit of an idea on what's going on. Maybe I need a new engine!!!
Great forum and plenty of advice here. Would also like to heear from other CJ250/360T owners on this forum and from Oz.

Steve

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Steve, Welcome to the group!..... I'm sure Lee (Leethal) will chime in from OZ....and there are quite a few other 360 owner/builders here as well.....Lee's build is well documented and has good pix, and there are extensive postings on the 360 (and your 250) tensioner problem/upgrades.... Make yourself at home..... :D Steve

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Steve, get onto Chris at Netbikes he has a carb kit for the 250t just missing the needle and seat, Be quick if you want it as he has sold his entire stock and Friday will be the last day before all stock disappears from the web site.

http://auction.netbikes.com.au/item.php?id=2959

Rod from OZ (QLD) :cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys, had a look on netbikes thanks for the tip. I think the CJ was more of a European model, there are plenty in Germany still and Ebay Germany get quite a few parts come up on it. But as most of the engine components are CB/CL there's quite a few parts left over.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Oi mate welcome to my american home ;)

Were in oz are ya? I'm visiting Sydney on family business at present but hang my helmet in Brisbane.

Welcome again....we dont have a very big Aussie chapter here.....yet... :cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey there.... I live in Goulburn, Southern Highlands of NSW, 2 bike shops in town and none like to order in old Honda/Suzuki parts!!! Read quite a few of the Aussie boys posts including yours, this is a great place to be.

Steve

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well within 5 minutes of getting my new best tool (oil filter spanner) I removed the oil filter and sundry items so that I could split the case. After a few good whacks and that should be quite a few good whacks the cases split. Removed the sump half and low and behold here is the problem......

Luckily I found a replacement tensioner arm on Ebay for a great price, better than what I could do by ordering through my local bike shops. Now just have to wait for it to turn up and put it all back together. The damage would account for a helluva lot of metal shavings in the sump. Going to check all the internals and make sure they are not damaged. Before spliting the halves I was pretty sure that the round part of the tensioner arm had fallen into the sump and got ground up by the gears etc... luckily it was still in its spot, just hanging there!

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Haysie said:
Luckily I found a replacement tensioner arm on Ebay for a great price, better than what I could do by ordering through my local bike shops.
Its incredible what dealerships will try and charge you for a part that has been gathering dust in the nether regions of their store rooms! I almost never ask them anymore...just go on line and source the part for a fraction of the cost (and thats after international exchange rates + postage).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Leethal.. your not wrong. I could go the really cheap option and try and weld it up myself, but it would end up looking like a Salvador Dali creation!
Anyway, hopefully the part won't take too long and I can get the old girl back together.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally after quite a dealy I have been able to get the bike back to something of her original condition. I still have the head light to put on. It came with a Suzuki headlight, this headlight has a kinda flat bottom and I think it came off a T200 or something like that. Very hesitant to put it back on, but I have been trying to source a replacement headlight for quite some time without any success. Any Aussies out there with a compete replacement headlight unit, please let me know.

I have only a few more things to put back on and I have found out that the clutch actuator is badly damaged and won't actuate properly. The three ball bearings have created significant wear around their recesses, so another hard to find part to look for.

Hoping to get her going next weekend, so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

New honda twin owner here, how can tell me about this bike ? maybe Rod from Aus[attachment=0:s7kub8aa]002.JPG[/attachment:s7kub8aa]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
pwatkins said:
Hi All,

New honda twin owner here, how can tell me about this bike ? maybe Rod from Aus
Well hello pwatkins,
That's a beautiful bike, and I'm sure Rod will get around to checking it out (be careful what you ask for. :lol: [email protected])
You should read this thread, It really helps around the site... ;) - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3797
Also we should ask a Moderator to move your post to a Member Introductions thread of your own. This is Haysie's thread.
It's free, fun and very addicting :shock: But you can get 'patches' here to wear when you are away from your computer and it comes with it's own support group! :p

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Welcome Pwatkins. How about rolling that beauty out in the sunlight where we can get a good look at it?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
J-T said:
Welcome Pwatkins. How about rolling that beauty out in the sunlight where we can get a good look at it?
Good idea - lots of photos please.
A red non-US K1, lots of interesting details to check and compare......we don't get to see many.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Cool bike. I've been waiting to see someone pop up with a 250. The bike looks great. Especially the engine/exhaust. That front disk brake is not original. It came with drum brakes front and rear.

I've got the 360 model. I picked it up in June and have been slowly getting it back on the road, and using it to learn as much as I can. I haven't yet torn down the engine, but it doesn't appear to need it. I plan to strip it down and go through everything this winter, but really wanted to get some riding in this season. I'm going back and forth on whether I want to cafe it or keep it more or less stock when I go through everything. I'll at least pull the head off at that time and see how things look and go from there.

There are a few other CJ360 owners here as well.

Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey guys no problems with sharing the thread, good to see another Aussie on this site. From what I understand is that the CJ250T did have a disk brake front end for the 1976 model. It came with it when I bought it and the front forks have all the necesary mounting points for the disc brake system.
Just been out in the shed trying to kick it over. Got a couple of issues, indicator relay stays on with a buzzing sound and the tail light is permanently on. I guess I have to check the wiring out to see what has happened.
Pwatkins, nice looking bike too, couple of outdoor shots would look great.

Haysie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts