Honda Twins banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this forum only a week ago and have been able to access some very valuable information for the CB450 K5 that I am currently restoring. I started the restoration two months ago after 14 months of aquiring the parts necessary for the rebuild. The bike was registered and very rideable, but was showing it's age. The bike has been completely dismantled and the frame powder coated. The motor is currently being rebuilt in Brisbane, a bit above my mechanical ability. All parts replaced have been NOS Honda hence the reason for the time taken to start the restore, thank God for ebay. I'm enjoying polishing the hubs etc, it's great to take something that is fairly oxidized and end up with brilliant shine like it was on the show room floor.
This is a bit of a return to my younger days as the K5 was my first bike when I got my licence some 40 years ago. My other ride is a 09 T100 Triumph.
The K5 before restoration

The T100

I live 400km from Brisbane and rely a lot on forums and the net to access information and this forum has been excellent, some very knowledgible members here, thankyou

·
Registered
785 Posts
Welcome to here.
Nice 450

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Hey welcome to the nut house, there are a couple of Twiners from SEQ on this group, one other CB450 owner that I know of but, remains silent :D hey Allen :lol:

What part of SEQ are you from? What are the frame and engine numbers of your bike? just that the tank is painted somewhat differently to a K5 tank and the side cover/badgers don't look to be from a K5 ;)

Rod from a very wet SEQ central (north Brisbane) :cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome.
Rod, I knew someone sooner than later would pick up on the colour and badging but I thought I would clarify that later. The engine number is CB450E5042141 and the frame number CB4505042036 therefor a true K5. When I bought the bike 18 months ago the original owner had done a resto with what he could get so that it could be registered. Every part that I have to restore the bike is true K5, including new badging,seat, gauges,handle bar, switches etc. That is why it took so long to sorce the parts to start. I am going to get the tank and covers repainted to light candy red, which was one of the three colours available, brown and olive green being the other two I think. Having a lot of trouble being able to sorce the chrome strip for under the tank but may get a local engineer to fold a piece of stainless steel,polish and fit.
I live at Goondiwindi where it's not to wet but wet enough :)
I'll end with a couple of photo's of where the bike is currently up to.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Welcome. Its nice to have another canetoad here at Hondatwins :cool:

Dunno bout you and Rod but I've been riding to work every f&%king day of this wet season... :evil:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Welcome...Nice CB resto work you got going there.

Tell us about your Bonnie.
How do you like: handling, power, weight, comfort for long rides, etc....

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Hey it's a long way to Brissy from Gunsynd country, so if you need anything from this neck of the woods drop an email. Oh, by the way the side covers appear to be from a K2 and as are the badges :D but you most likely know this already :?

K2

K5

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
dingo450 said:
Mate that's some serious bling you got there! looking good. As for the chrome strip under the tank it is still available for the CB750's. Have a look at CMSNL.com or David silver.com.
PM sent

·
Registered
7,061 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, thanks for the suggestions re the chrome tank strip. I went to a local trim shop and they had some 1/4" chrome strip that they use for the centre of doors on older cars, looks good and will do the job.
Fitted the new spokes and had them trued last week. Spent Monday assembling the front end,wheels etc. Did a check of wiring and lights, blinkers,horn etc all working. All I need now is a motor :lol:
Some pictures of the assembly.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Thats top notch right there :shock:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Very nice work! I bet that bike didn't come out of it's original crate looking that clean! The spokes were probably rusty when it was new. :lol:

Keep us updated.. ;)

GB :mrgreen:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts