Honda Twins banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new owner, and a newbie on a bike. I have a '74 CB200T with 2,800 miles. Barn find. Been riding it for the first time recently and made a few mistakes. The biggest one: not checking the oil. So the gears got sticky. Also, the battery seems to need a trickle charge now and again. This morning I added a quart (didn't empty what was in there because the stick showed NO OIL. But then I decided to do something a little MORE cavalier. I took a very fine sandpaper and "cleaned" the point. Whereas when the battery was at all charged enough to jump right up either by electric or kick start, now it turns over but will not start. I think I over did it on the point. What might I do to check to see if messing with the point was the cause of my situation with starting the bike. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Welcome... the first thing you have to realize about air-cooled motorcycle engines is that they do consume a little oil over the course of usage, whether or not you see any smoke from the exhaust. If you didn't change the oil in it right away when you got it - despite the low miles - you should have as well. Hopefully you haven't done any damage to both the engine and transmission at this point, but you should drain what oil is left in it and start with fresh. As for the points... if you just blow out the gap between them with compressed air, or run a piece of clean paper through them, you'll probably get a spark again - sanding points without cleaning them often results in spark loss due to tiny pieces of metal filings continuing the contact between the points when they break... which also might mean the points need to be adjusted as well. Happy for your new acquisition, but there are a few things these older bikes need that you'll have to become familiar with to keep things going smoothly. Plenty of people here who can help with any questions you'll come up with on the 175/200 bikes, so post away when you run into problems

1 - 2 of 2 Posts