Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on this forum for awhile and wanted to finally introduce myself. About 2-1/2 years ago I bought a basket case 1969 CL350 K1 off craigslist for $350 and spent the winter putting it together in the garage. It was mostly all there. I had to acquire a few things off eBay and from a local bike salvage yard and I've finally got it to the point where I'm confident riding it around.

The engine was seized up but after a lot of soaking with Kroil Oil, it finally broke loose and started right up. Pretty decent compression too. This is my first bike aside from a few I drove around the yard as a kid. I really love this bike and putting it together was a great way to learn everything about it. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and also own a `62 Ford Falcon as my daily driver. I've had that about 9 years now.

I'm looking for a rear fender (the one on now is probably from a `70), and would like to find a skid plate and the helmet holder that goes under the left, top fork bolt. Everything else is pretty much original. I'm also looking for a couple of tappet covers. They were jammed on there and got buggered up trying to get them off. I think the o-rings were really flattened out and the PO had really tightened them down, galling the aluminum.

I got a free parts bike (`69 CB350) off craigslist a few months ago so if anyone needs any small, misc. parts let me know. I swapped a few things that were in better condition to my bike and sold a lot of things on eBay. The big prize was it had a nice Ceriani front end that ended up selling for $1,700! Score!!! So far this free parts bike has really paid off...

Anyway, nice to be here. I don't have a lot of experience yet but hope to chime in when I can.

Kenny

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
redfalken said:
I got a free parts bike (`69 CB350) off craigslist a few months ago so if anyone needs any small, misc. parts let me know. I swapped a few things that were in better condition to my bike and sold a lot of things on eBay. The big prize was it had a nice Ceriani front end that ended up selling for $1,700! Score!!! So far this free parts bike has really paid off...
Now that is wild, very nice score.

Great work on the bike, really came out nice.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I was pretty stoked when the Cerianis went for so much. I was also torn because they would have been pretty sweet on a cafe racer if I ever wanted to build one. Also sold a nice set of vintage Koni shocks for $80. Oh well, paid for a machinist to do some work on my Falcon's cylinder head, a new 120gb iPod and Mr. Chase and Mrs. Visa got some extra this month!

Plus I bought a set of Dyna coils and modifed a bracket I bought from a place called Bevel Heaven to fit them under the tank. VERY tight but they work great and I have one less 40 year old electronic component to worry about.

[attachment=1:21vjov7n]IMG_2921.JPG[/attachment:21vjov7n]
[attachment=0:21vjov7n]IMG_2932.JPG[/attachment:21vjov7n]

I modified a sissy bar with some Elvis art and had someone sew up a pad cover to match the seat. I didn't do any painting to the engine but decided to polish the side covers. Had to weld a couple of patches on the back of the muffler but doubt I can ever find a better spare.

[attachment=3:21vjov7n]IMG_2952.JPG[/attachment:21vjov7n]
[attachment=2:21vjov7n]IMG_2960.JPG[/attachment:21vjov7n]

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
You'll regret selling those Cerianis for the rest of your life.

I had a pair of CB450 K2's, both with Cerianis - I paid $250 per set, back in The Day, that included the stem and triple clamps, dealer cost.
Sold them years later for a song, been kicking myself ever since.
Also sold their Konis for a song.......

Sigh.......I'd give anything to have them back.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure I'll regret it someday! I'm curious if anyone knows why these may have went way higher than any had sold previously, at least as far back as the search for completed auctions go? I was thrilled when they hit a grand and then the last minute bidding went nuts.

One thing they had that I didn't see on any other Ceriani's from my searching was the numbers 1 thru 5 on the top fork bolts. You could turn the small bolt with the index mark and get a click that lined up with each number. Maybe this was a rare option?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
redfalken said:
I'm sure I'll regret it someday! I'm curious if anyone knows why these may have went way higher than any had sold previously, at least as far back as the search for completed auctions go? I was thrilled when they hit a grand and then the last minute bidding went nuts.

One thing they had that I didn't see on any other Ceriani's from my searching was the numbers 1 thru 5 on the top fork bolts. You could turn the small bolt with the index mark and get a click that lined up with each number. Maybe this was a rare option?
Never saw that option before - probably a sort of spring pre-load function.

Go get a price on new 35mm Cerianis - you'll see why they sold for so much........
And the Ceriani stem/clamp for 350's hasn't been available for decades now......

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's been awhile since I've posted on my progress. I took a short video tour of the bike today and uploaded to YouTube. I've been spending a little of the profit from selling the Ceriani front end on improvements. A NOS tank, new paint job, new foam and seat cover, electronic ignition, NOS skid plate, and a few other goodies.

[youtube:3bncep4e]p-23LOTeURY[/youtube:3bncep4e]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts