Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well to start I was given a family keepsake of my soon to be wife. It's a 73 CB 450 that was last on the road in 83.(still has the tag). She is wanting to have it running by late October due to it being owned by her father who has passed.

Alright let's get started, the carbs were left full of gas that turn to black plastic. Rebuilt them following common motor vid with alot of cleaning. But now to electric. No spark nor push button starter. My first idea was the switch. I got the starter working by removing unknown piece of black plastic from behind the button. I have never messed with motorcycles this old and with points. So what is the next step to getting it going. Ahead of time thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I have never worked on a 450. You need a full service manual. I do know it has a point less ing system. PM sent.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Yes you certainly should follow a factory service manual. Also a ‘73 CB450 DOHC most definitely had a points based ignition as original equipment. The later generation 450’s came with electronic ignition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright found a PDF manual so let me do some reading and chasing wires. Thanks to bill for directions to a manual

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The points and pointless system were interchangeable.A lot of guys went back to points when the pointless system failed.

Bill

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
The points and pointless system were interchangeable.A lot of guys went back to points when the pointless system failed.

Bill
Respectfully Bill, the 1973 CB450 DOHC was fitted as stock with a points ignition, nothing else. Electronic ignition is now available for that bike although with caveats. The later SOHC 450 had an E-ignition as stock. Perhaps you were initially thrown off by the OP’s mention of a 1983 license plate in his original post.

Reactions: Bill H

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well not the kill switch continued to next but found a new issue does anyone know we're to get replacement plastic headlight selector( the plactic block underneath the arm.) Mine has rotted away and part of it was the item blocking the starter push button

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It lives and idles but only for min or two bottle fed no tank still needs cleaning.
I'm going to end this thread to start a build thread due the large amount of items on the to do list from forks, headlight, complete master cylinder/ front brake ( fluid turned to dust) chrome cleaning, brake light that seems to never cut off, and many other things that will pop up in time.
There will be pics

Thanks everyone for the pm's quite a few helped

·
21 Posts
I have a lot of experience with the CB450. My dad was a Honda dealer from 1960-1988 and I have worked on just about every part of that model. I would be happy to answer questions and give advice if you are interested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts