Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the bike to fire. Disconnected and reconnected all the wires. Something must have just been loose. Was running great. I took it out for the first real ride today coming to work. About a 12 mile trip. I made it the first 10 miles beautifully. Then it started to hesitate and jerk a little it didn't really want to get above 40 mph. Any ideas? Help would be appreciated because I need to make it back home tonight. Thanks

·
Registered
608 Posts
low battery voltage, dirt in carbs, try opening carb drains then open petcock to flush bowls, fuel filters on these really help

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a brand new battery that was on the battery tender all night. I flushed the bowls on Sunday. I don't have a meter here to check the battery voltage. What could cause it not to charge? I'm not sure about these old systems. I do have inline fuel filters on both fuel lines. Will these bikes run without the battery on their own charging systems once they are started? Sorry, I know this is a lot of questions, but I really need to get home from work tonight. :?

·
Registered
608 Posts
dougqt said:
What could cause it not to charge? I'm not sure about these old systems.
Will these bikes run without the battery on their own charging systems once they are started? :?
bad regulator, bad rectifier, bad stator, bad rotor, bad wiring, do you have a headlight off switch? that would save some volts, no they won't run without a battery

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have a leadlight off switch. I did run the whole way with the headlight on. Is that a problem on these. I did a search on the threads and someone posted that they don't really charge at lower RPM. They specified 5,000. Should I be allowing it to rev higher?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot to mention that it seems to idle ok, but when I give it gas and start to move up through the RPMs is when it seems to have a problem. Could it have anything to do with the engine heating up, warm oil thinning out, etc...?????

·
Registered
608 Posts
dougqt said:
Could it have anything to do with the engine heating up, warm oil thinning out, etc...?????
probably not as long as you're using a good brand of oil, the ignition uses more voltage at higher rpms and these bikes weren't meant to run headlight on at all times, there is a quick and dirty fix that helps however, inside the headlight shell find the yellow/white and yellow from the headlight control switch unplug them and connect the two wires that lead out of the main loom back to each other, they will plug right in this way you will be running all three sections of the charging coils

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am running valvoline 5w30 in the crankcase. I will try the rewiring trick to get myself home. Thanks for the tip. What do you mean all three sections of the charging coils. Where tdo they go otherwise? I'm still a newb with these things.

·
Registered
608 Posts
look at the diagram, two of the charging coils are interconnected turning the headlight on energizes the third coil (yellow wire) helps at lower rpms even if you're running with the headlight on (required by law in some states) welcome to the joys of older bikes :lol:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, let me make sure I have this. Normally only two of the charging coils are charging the battery. When the headlight turns on the third coil also charges the battery. So if connect the wires you said, all three coils charge the battery all the time? Thanks for baring with me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This may be a really dumb question, but does it make sense to just leave it wired this way all the time? Also, if they weren't meant to run the headlight on, how do you drive at night? Probably another dumb question. Sorry.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, tried the wiring and just took it out. It's still hesitating, but now it is backfiring. Hasn't done that before. Otherwise still same symptoms.

·
Registered
608 Posts
sounds like low voltage or dirty carbs aim the headlight at a wall rev the engine, headlight get brighter? no = charging system not working, yes = clean the carbs
not meant to run headlight on at all times

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it. These old bikes are really neat, but I can see that there is a learning curve when it comes to the older technology. This forum has been a huge help in actually getting this bike on the road. When I got it, it hadn't run in many years and chipmunks or mice had eaten a lot of the wiring. Like I said, it was a blast to ride for about the first ten miles. I haven't had a motorcycle in 8 years and it was wonderful to be riding again. Hopefully this be solved relatively quickly and I can get it back on the road while there is still a little bit of riding time left here in beautiful (soon to be frigid) Northeast Ohio.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, I got the bike trailered home after work on Tuesday. Messed with it a little and it's backfireing pretty good as I accelarate through the RPMs. I had a Honda mechanic listen to it and he said that it sounds like it could possibly be lean on one cylinder. He said it could also be intermittent spark. I am going to switch over to the spare CL 350 gas tank because it is clean. I tried to get all the rust out of the CB tank but I'm still getting particles in the fuel filters and when I drained the bowls I found some rust particles in there too. He also said that I shoud check the compression. Here's my thing. It ran smooth as can be for 10 miles and then all of a sudden started to sputter and backfire so to me it's not a compression issue because you don't just lose compression all of a sudden with out something else catastrophic occuring. Everything else sounds fine. So here's what I've done. I checked the voltage and it is good. I changed to a clean gas tank and replaced the fuel lines and fuel filters.I pulled the carbs and cleaned them with carbs cleaner, although I'm not super knowledgeable with carbs so maybe there is still a clogged jet possibley. The engine is still missing. Tomorrow I am going to pull the carbs off my parts bike and clean and install those. I'm also going to change the plugs and swap the coils for the ones off the parts bike as well. Am I on the right track here. Any other ideas. Aside from fuel and spark what would make it start to miss like that all of a sudden when the battery and voltage are good? Can timing slip on these (like a car if you forget to tighten down the distibutor??)?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts