Honda Twins banner

How do you clean your carbs?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this online and I have got to say the carbs are amazing!
I let them boil for 4 min a piece because they were not to badly varnished.
I plan on doing this with my VW carb next week

+pros
cheaper than carb dip
does not ruin carbs like carb dip

+cons
boiling lemon juice has a weird smell

"# Boiling in Lemon Juice - There is NOTHING BETTER at cleaning carbs than a giant pot of boiling lemon juice. The acidity from the lemons eats through everything; gas varnish, oil build up, dirt, grime, etc. Sometimes I won’t even bother doing anything but this - I’ll just remove the bowls, remove the caps, then drop everything into the pot and let it sit for 20 minutes (rotate them a few times). The one caveat to doing this is that you’ll want to wash the lemon juice off the carbs as soon as you pull them out. So have a bucket of water ready, or a can of WD-40 to hose them down. Also note that the acidity has a tendency to put a dull finish on the aluminum bodies of the carbs. This isn’t a problem in most cases, but if you must have everything shiny be prepared to do a little scrubbing and polishing afterwards. It may sound weird, but trust me, I just saved you LOTS of time. (Most dollar stores sell 1/2 gallon jugs of lemon juice, so buying a few gallons will only cost you $6. Plus you can put it back into the bottles afterwards and save it for next time.)"

·
Registered
363 Posts
used to have a dip tank of acedic acid at the gate company my dad managed, worked like a charm on carbs, engine blocks etc..

·
Registered
785 Posts
It takes Jedi powers to properly clean a carbureter.
Jedi powers and soap and water has been serving me for years.
Only one time have I ever had to have a bank of carbs ultrasonically cleaned because they sat for 16 years with fuel in the bowls and I just figured what would be best in the long run.
BTW, "Soap & water" was not one of your choices and it is logically the only choice.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
If you only have one set of carbs to do you can probably just drop off the used juice at the local bar.

They'll never notice the difference.

It's called recycling! :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Did I read that right?

I can clean my carbs without taking them apart? just drop them into some boiling lemon juice?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Deff want to take them apart, the diaphragm (if its any good) should not be dunked in the lemon juice although it did not hurt any of the old o-rings it is a good precautionary measure.

i put all the jets and stuff on a piece of welding wire and let them sit in there separate from the carb.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Crap. I was hoping I had a way to clean them without taking them apart, Since I have no idea how to take them apart :p

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what bike ru working on? if you have two carbs take tons of pics of taking it apart and u have the other carb for reference. at least my cl350 the carbs are super simple. its impossible to put the square peg in the round hole.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm working on a CM400t. I have the Honda Shop manual .pdf. I guess I'll have to print the pages and just get at it. I'm just worried because I've never done any carb work before.

Worst case scenario, I'm sure there are carbs all over e-bay.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if you take lots of pictures of every step you will be fine. make sure you have the correct carb rebuild kit. never want to reuse orings

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Meadus, when you open them up, just work on one at a time. That way you can see where everything goes back. Also, keep the parts for each carb together and make sure they go back in the original carb. The 400 carbs are not too bad to work on from what I remember. Let me know if you run into any issues.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I just did a set of CM400 carbs, they are same as CX500 carbs. pretty straight foreward to clean. i recommend you DONT separate the carb bodies! all those bits are a PITA to get back together in perfect alignment. i pulled the bowl, floats, jets and then pulled the cap, throttle, gaskets before dipping. i discovered that the carb dip will remove the clearcoat finish from the caps! hand clean those. also, be sure the throttle slide is CLEAN CLEAN and the bore is CLEAN CLEAN and doesnt show any copper color... this is telltale of wear. carbs wont run right with excess throttle wear. also, change the bowl gasket! i've found the oriignals dont hold up well... theyre fairly expensive but worth preventing that leak you'll get all over the back of the engine. I purchase mine here http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/siriusconincnosparts/ theres more but my 2 typing fingers are tired. email me direct and we'll chat. danWI

·
Registered
90 Posts
I decided to try the pine sol dip today. That stuff turned a weird color when I dropped the carbs in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lemon juice- 1 liter- $1 store

·
Registered
659 Posts
Bead blast with lime soda ash glass beads and rince thoroughly several times.
They come out looking brand new.

I know...not everyone has a blast cabinet. i have a friend with one.
I know....I know....you'll never get the beads out.....yes you will....

·
Registered
90 Posts
SteelB12 said:
I decided to try the pine sol dip today. That stuff turned a weird color when I dropped the carbs in.
Apparently I used either too much or too little Pine Sol. It left a white film on my carbs. The smaller parts which were in separate containers came out fine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts