Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not twins related but it's certainly related to all the 35+ year old hydraulic brake systems out there.
I was riding around town last night with my wife when we pulled up to a stop and I reached for the rear brake only to find the pedal location about 1" higher than it normally is. I pressed the pedal and could feel the mushiness of the air then the feel of a solid pedal as the bike rolled to a stop. I thought about it as I rode to the next light where the same thing occurred.

Without thinking much more I realized the piston must be coming out further than it should and, given he mushiness, that could only be caused by the circlip coming out. I pulled over and took a look where the brake pedal connects and I could see some fluid dripping out of the rubber boot. Crap!

It was a short ride home and tonight I took the rear master off the bike (with great difficulty I might add) and the piston fell off into my hand. Here is what I found.

I found the rusted and broken circlip in the dust boot. You can see the failure point.

Here are the rest of the parts, rust and all.

The nuts holding the rubber boot to the shaft were almost welded on via rust and had to be heat and abused to get them off. The shaft itself is severley pitted but can probably be salvaged. The nuts are a special shape and one of them is now round while the other can be saved.

The moral of the story is that these bikes ('76 GL) are over 30 years old and everything needs servicing.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Thats sound advice....I regard brakes to be the most important check item on any bike.

·
Registered
785 Posts
It is a shame that people never change their brake fluid.
I have seen more 25+ year old master cylinders like that than I care to think about.
Brake fluid is supposed to be changed every year and fork oil is supposed to be changed every other year.
I just changed the brake fluid in my Tacoma and was amazed at the braking power afterwards. It has ABS.
I need to change the brake fluid in my Blackbird and my CBX. My Blackbird has a hydraulic clutch too. I think I will do that this coming weekend, it is easy with a vacuum pump and Speed Bleeders but, I don't have the Speed Bleeders installed.
The Blackbird also has linked brakes, LBS.
I know none of them are related to this site but, they all have hydraulic brakes.
My CL350 has cable pull drum brakes that scare the hell out of me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts